Chapter 21

"Are you kidding me?"

Emma shook her head at the frown he was giving her as she focused her eyes back on the road. And you wanted me to tell you everything in one go, she silently thought. She just waited until it fully sank into him and maybe it would be enough to stir a bit of the man inside of him.

Almost an hour into their trip, he had asked about himself. About the real him. She had hesitated with telling him every single detail, but the look he had given her was one that meant there was still something that hadn't changed. She was still an open book to him. So she told him everything and now he was looking at her like she was mad.

Which was completely normal.

"What are you trying to tell me? That I'm a real pirate?"

She nodded. "Absolutely everything. No lies. Just as promised."

"But Captain Hook? The one with the funny mustache and perms?"

She tried hard not to laugh at the tone of his voice. Serious and confused at the same time. She just nodded again. "The one and only."

"I don't know if I should be insulted or proud." he said with his eyebrow raised in confusion.

She just chuckled, but kept her mouth shut when his frown deepened. His eyebrows furrowed as he looked at his left hand. A few minutes passed as she busied herself with driving and he tried to fathom whatever she had told him.

She sat there thinking about something to say. Something to help him with everything. Something to help with the impact of the news. What was she going to say? 'At least you can finally see your ship.' Or maybe, 'Hey, at least you still have your other hand with you?' She mentally shook her head. Nope.

When she heard a low grumbling sound in the silence of the car, a wave of relief washed over her. For once, she was happy about being hungry.

They were able to find a diner along the way. It was small but who cared anyway? They went inside and a grumpy looking lady handed them menus with a stiff smile.

"I'm gonna have a burger." he said to the lady with a polite smile.

"I'll have the same."

When the lady left, the smile on his face immediately slipped into a small frown on his face. She could tell he was trying not to show it, but he was an open book to her just as she was to him. His jaws clenched tight, his fingers tapping on the table. He looked like he was itching to reach up and scratch behind his ear.

"What is it?"

"Nothing." He looked at her with feigned innocence but her eyes went past that.

She just sighed and gave him a knowing look before taking dipping a piece of french fries in ketchup. Avoiding his gaze, she took a sip of her drink and started to get her hands into the burger.

"Okay, fine."

She snapped her head towards him in attention. He quickly averted his gaze to his hands clasped in front of him on the table. "It's just that the place looks familiar. It's like I've been here before."

Her eyes widened. Something exploded inside of her as the hair on the back of her neck stood up. She tried to control the big smile stretching her lips. "That's good, right?"

He tilted his head in hesitation. "I guess?"

They just continued to eat their burgers in silence. Inside, Emma was feeling good because of course, she was one step closer to getting him back. But the furrowed eyebrows and small frown on his face made her feel anxious.