Chapter 24

"Yua-chan are you sure you're fine with paying for all of this?" Coach Naoi asked looking at all the food the team had ordered.

   "Yeah," Yua nodded, smiling still taking in the fact that they had won, "I've been saving up for this treat since the beginning of the year."

   "I can vouch for that," Kuroo said taking a bite from his meat.

   "I was wondering if you'd like to join the team for a barbeque on Sunday. We've all practised and trained so much I just felt that we need something to cool off."

   "You know I don't eat meat Kuroo-san. But I don't think I can, I'm sorry, " she apologised, declining his offer.

   "It's fine but it would be nice if you joined us."

   Yua felt bad and considered something for a while and replied, "How about this? If we qualify for nationals I'll treat you all to some barbeque or whatever you'd like."

   "That sounds great," he turned to her and grinned down at her, "But can your wallet handle it?"

   Yua's cheeks turned slightly pink and she looked away, "Let me do something for my friends every now and then."

   "As long as you're sure," he sighed, still not wanting a student to pay for this.

   Yua sat next to Nekomata Sensei and Coach Naoi who were both enjoying their meals. Of course, they would pay for their bit, but Yua was thrilled that she was able to treat all of them.

   "So did you have any other epiphanies during the match?" Nekomata Sensei asked and for once Yua knew what he meant.

   "Looking at everyone's growth as a team felt really wholesome and I'm so grateful that I got the opportunity to watch them all grow and," she had to make sure she knew what she was saying, "I want to keep this feeling going."

   Nekomata Sensei nodded and Coach Naoi teared up, "You're so wise for your age Yua-chan."

   "Thank you, Coach," she sweatdropped at their coach and turned her attention to all the team members, "but I probably wouldn't be this way if it weren't for all of them, so I'm most thankful to them."

   She looked at Nekomata Sensei and teared up slightly, "Thank you for allowing me to experience all of this by becoming a manager."

   "I should be thanking you," he laughed kindly, "who knows what the team's overall spirit would've been like without you."

   A tear dared to roll down her face but she controlled herself, saving it for later.

   But as she took a step back to take in the moment, she could only think of how they'd all impacted her in ways she wasn't even aware of.

   She really couldn't be more thankful for them for changing her life forever.

   When Yua and Kuroo walked home that day, Yua had already felt a bit nostalgic knowing that that very moment would become a memory.

   "Ne Yua," Kuroo bumped her shoulder with his and the girl nodded in return, "Didn't Yakeru-san say he'd be coming?"

   "He did, I even saw him in the stands. I guess he got too emotional that we actually are going to nationals," she shrugged not exactly sure of the reason for her brother's departure.

   "Do you have something on your mind?" Kuroo asked her and Yua only smiled tragicomically.

   "I wanted to wait until I was sure we'd make it to nationals," she told him and he nodded in understanding.

   Kuroo's face seemed to be glowing under the moonlight but Yua knew it was because of the high from winning today.

   "I have two things I want to tell you about," she breathed out knowing she couldn't keep this piece of information from him forever, "I want to become a volleyball coach at some point in my life."

   "Really?" Kuroo sounded both amazed and impressed by what she told him, "That's so cool. I can definitely see you doing that."

   "I don't know if I'd be good at it though," she said, "being a manager is very different from being a coach."

   "Knowing you, you'd figure it out incredibly fast," he commented and swallowed, nervous for the next bit of information.

   "After high school, I'll be moving to Kyoto."

   Kuroo widened his eyes and stopped for a second, "why?"

  "Pretty straightforward reasons," she said feeling her stomach sink, "It's less polluted and it'll be more convenient for Yakeru. I'm sure you've noticed that I've been coughing more than usual?"

   "Yeah but that happens to almost everyone who lives in the city," he reasoned.

   "Well not everyone has weak lungs like me," she gave him a weak smile. "It's not as bad as it sounds, besides there are nearly two more years for that."

   Kuroo sighed understanding the situation, "You're right. We haven't even played the trash can battle yet."

   "Don't even get me started on how hyped up I am for that," she told him, "it's going to be glorious."

   "It will," he smiled just imagining it.

   They stayed silent for a while, their hands intertwined with each other like always.

   "I also wanted to say thank you," she looked over at him, "for keeping your promise."

   "Kuroo-san," The first year said seriously, catching the attention of the second year.

   "Next year you'll be captain and I want you to promise me that you'll win," she said her blue eyes glistening, "For yourself and for me, since I can't."

   Kuroo thought about it for a good while and nodded, "for yourself and for me"

   "We'll win," they both said in unison shaking their hands in the empty gymnasium ready for the obstacles they'd come across in the future.

   "How could I not?" He said, looking up at the night sky. "You were my first crush as well," he laughed softly.

   "So did you only agree because you had a crush on me?" She teased.

   "I've explained the timeline to you before and I refuse to do it again," Kuroo eyed the girl who shrugged cheekily.

   "You know what I want to do right now Tetsuro-kun?"

   "Wha-"

   Before he could finish saying the word itself Yua grabbed his face and brushed her lips against his and she could feel him smile into this kiss. 

   It was a good thing the street was empty but Yua didn't care. She'd kiss him in front of their entire school if she could without getting suspended.

   And right then Yua and Kuroo shared another moment. But this moment was different from the first. 

   It was that moment in their relationship when Yua and Kuroo accepted that even though they might not be in each other's lives for a while in the next few years, it wouldn't matter. They would find a way back together.

   Because at that moment Yua and Kuroo realized that they'd never love anybody else like how they loved each other.

   It was that moment that kept the two holding on to each other even a few years after they'd broken up.

   It was that moment that led them to have a falling in again years later.

   It was because of what that moment did for them did they get married.

   And then they shared another moment, but this time with their daughter, Mai, because they knew they could never love anything or anyone else like they loved her.

THE END