Chapter 22

Ever since Yua and Kuroo shared their first kiss, Kuroo would come over to Yua's house every day after practice and the couple would make out longer than necessary but they just found it hard to keep their hands to themselves.

   This was probably what people called the early stage of a relationship.

   Although Yua was concerned that this would somehow affect his performance in volleyball it didn't, since they had made it to the quarter-finals with ease and even won it making it to the semi-finals which would take place that weekend.

   "Wait," Kuroo said pulling away from their kiss. He stayed silent for a while and spoke, "did you hear that?"

   "Hear what?" The girl furrowed her eyebrows at the boy who sat up straight and followed suit. "You're supposed to be a cat, not a dog."

   "Are you expecting guests?" he asked seeming a bit tense.

   "Not to my knowledge, what's wrong-" Yua was cut off by knocking on her door. "I swear if it's Yakeru I'm going to burn all his volleyball medals."

   She got up from her bed and put on her t-shirt that was on the floor and adjusted it and handed Kuroo his. When he had put his on, she opened the door and had the urge to slam it back shut.

   "Can't you at least inform me beforehand when you're coming home," she growled at him.

   "Now where's the fun in that," he grinned and looked over and his eyebrows raised when he saw Kuroo, "Oh Kuroo hey what's got you here?"

   "Didn't mom tell you?" When he tilted his head at the girl, she sighed, "Kuroo-san do you want to tell him?"

   "Not really-"

   "Wait tell me what?" He looked between the two of them, "what's going on?"

   "Stop acting like this is a rom-com and take a seat at my desk," she instructed.

   He seemed suspicious but did as he was told anyway which really surprised Yua.

   "Now I know you had this really embarrassing 'rule' that no one on the volleyball team was allowed to have certain feelings towards, which by the way, sounds so shady," she started almost going into a rant, "but you can't control my life so I'm just going to say it-"

   "You both are dating," Yakeru guessed and Yua nodded. The older Ashikaga looked at Kuroo who was trying really hard to look at anything but his gaze. "Really? Him? I thought you had a thing for Kai?"

   "I didn't, you just assumed that because I was nice to him that one time"

   "Wait what?"

   "Shut up," both the siblings told him and he looked down at his feet regretting not suggesting to make out at his house.

   "But didn't you say that you have a ban against high school dating?"

   "I was 14. Things change," she huffed getting annoyed, "now that you know do you have anything to say or do?"

   "Yeah, I'd like to speak to Kuroo."

   "Yeah, no," she shook her head knowing where this was going.

   "It's fine I don't mind," Kuroo shrugged.

   Yua gaped at him and her brother smirked, "leave the room for a while."

   "That sounds extremely sketch but just remember I have the keys to your room and trophy cabinet."

   Yua stood outside her room for what she guessed was 10 minutes. Unfortunately and fortunately, her room was soundproof so she couldn't really hear what they were talking about.

   Her mom could see her pacing about from downstairs and called the girl down to see what the matter was.

   "Mom, why didn't you tell Yakeru about Tetsuro-kun and me?" She asked, clearly frustrated.

   "Oh that didn't catch my mind the last time I spoke to him," she told the girl who shook her head in disbelief.

   She heard the door of her room open and saw Yakeru and Kuroo walk out and everything seemed fine and this momentarily calmed Yua down.

   "Mom Kuroo will be staying for dinner," Yakeru informed and Yua seemed amazed that her brother was actually behaving somewhat civil.

   She looked at Kuroo who just smiled and that seemed to settle all the negative thoughts that had been arising in Yua's head.

   "So the semi-finals are this weekend right?" Yakeru asked taking a bite of his fish.

   "Yeah. According to the draw we'll be playing against Fukurodani," Kuroo told the boy and Yua just stared at the both of them like they just hadn't given the girl a nervous breakdown 30 minutes ago.

   "The other teams that have qualified?"

   "Itachiyama and Nohebi," he said the latter team's name with a bitter tone.

   "Ugh I hate them," Yakeru said and Yua shared mutual feelings with her brother on this. "You guys won't mind if I come to watch right?" He turned to Yua who just shrugged.

   "It's a free country you can do as you please," she told him, "as long as you don't embarrass me." She added knowing that he was already planning on stories to share with the volleyball team.

   Both her parents were partly shocked that the two siblings were being nicer to each other than usual.

   "Miyuki-chan will be there right?" Their mom asked and the Nekoma students nodded.

   "She has nothing to be nervous about, to be honest," Yua spoke, "It's pretty obvious to even an amateur that Fukurodani and Itachiyama will qualify."

   "Don't be like that-"

   "I didn't say we'd lose," she said sternly to her brother, "we won't lose."

   Yakeru looked at Kuroo who nodded, "we won't."

   Yua walked Kuroo home for no reason other than just wanting to speak to the boy. Ever since the dinner, Yua had been feeling really light like a weight had been lifted off her chest.

   "You were nice back then," Kuroo commented, "You were actually nice to Yakeru-san."

   "I know it's weird," Yua said surprising herself, "I think I finally get what adults mean when they say you'll learn to love your siblings when they're adults."

   "I've always liked my sister," Kuroo professed.

   "That's because your sister is an angel," she reasoned and he chuckled nodding.

   "But you know what," Yua added causing the boy to look at her and she swung their hands joyfully, "I'm glad that Yakeru exists. Because if he didn't, you would've never befriended him or known about me. I probably would've quit volleyball altogether, even as a manager. And we'd never become friends or fall in love."

   "I'm glad that he exists too because let's be fair if it weren't for Yakeru-san you'd probably be way different from the person you are now."

   "Hmm, would I be likeable?" She looked at him while stifling a cough.

   "I can't imagine you being anything but likeable."

   "I've said this once but I'll say it again," she twinkled, "I like it when you're sweet."