Chapter 32 - Button-Up

As tip off for the streetball match goes underway, I nearly choke on my own breath as someone walks past me, standing about a foot and a half taller than myself. He briskly makes his way onto the court, reaching up and grabbing the ball before it can even reach its acme.

He palms it easily, a candy bar hanging from his mouth as he brushes some of his long purple hair behind one ear. "Sorry. Can you start again? I just got here."

I gape at the boy; Murasakibara Atsushi, the center of the Generation of Miracles, standing at an impressive height of 6'10". At age sixteen, he's already competing with the average height of centers in the NBA.

Himuro sighs, putting a hand on his hip. "You're late, Atsushi."

"I know, I know. I got lost," he explains boredly. "I don't live around here, after all. "

"It's been awhile, Murasakibara-kun," Kuroko is quick to greet his former teammate.

Seems Murasakibara hand't noticed him from the beginning, however. "Oh, it's Kuro-chin! What are you doing here? You look as serious as ever. Whenever I see you making that face I want to crush you."

Kagami's shoulders square tensely when Murasakibara reaches one of his giant hands towards Kuroko's head in a menacing manner. Even I have to admit I get somewhat protective of the boy, debating whether or not I should storm onto the court or not in order to defend him. Then I remember that this is a friend of his; or at least a former teammate. I'm sure nothing harmful would befall on Kuroko by Murasakibara's hand (quite literally).

The large boy simply pat's Kuroko's head, his hand nearly engulfing the top of his skull within just his palm. He leans down to Kuroko's height and smiles gently. "Just kidding."

As Murasakibara continues to ruffle Kuroko's hair --which I can understand; it's extremely soft-- said bluette grows a bit aggravated. He smacks his wrist away. "Please don't keep doing that."

"Oh, are you upset with me? My bad. I'll stop."

The nature between the two miracles feels very laid back and established; it's clear that they're comfortable enough with another as former teammates and acquaintances, at the very least. Murasakibara's smile is gentle- childlike, even. The true definition of a gentle giant.

"I thought you said you weren't coming," Himuro interjects with a smile.

The tranquil smile turns into that of a playful pout as Murasakibara tosses the ball to said ravenette. "Actually, it's your fault for changing our meeting place at the last second. The only reason I came is because you told me you wanted to go sightseeing around Tokyo now that you've come back to Japan. But instead I find you here, playing streetball like always."

Himuro sighs in defeat. "Sorry, sorry. These guys were complaining because they were down a player and it just sounded like fun."

Not being able to stand my exclusion from this conversation any longer, I hop the fence separating the crowd from the court and jog over to stand beside Kagami, despite the opposition I receive from the court officials and referees. Furihata blinks, pointing at the purple basketball bag by the opposite team's bench. "Yosen played in the Inter-High today, didn't they?"

"Yosen played, but Murasakibara-san didn't," I clarify, making my own presence known.

"W-What? He didn't? Why?"

Murasakibara shakes his head as he opens a bag of potato chips. "I don't know. The only reason I didn't play is because Aka-chin told me not to."

"Aka-chin?" Furihata questions the nickname.