Twenty-Two | He said what?

TWENTY-TWO

B A I L E Y

- 12:46 am -

The slideshow finally ends. I feel bad for saying that I hate it, and it's sad that that amount of people died in a year. Wow, that's really depressing. Looking around the room I see reactions on some people's faces. Charlie must have invented these people so they can get a sense of comfort. That's nice of him.

Charlie gives another speech. I kinda just zone out. It's getting late, way past my normal bed time. The night will probably end soon, I hope. "So you can socialize until one for the dance." Charlie annouses.

Everyone gets up and the large room is filled with chatter. Brittney pulls me up and guides me to a group of women. They all range in age. "Oh I have been waiting to talk to you all night! I am Mel." Mel says, taking my hands.

"Hello, it's nice to meet you. I'm Bailey." I said to her.

"That dress is just beautiful!" Another woman comments.

Brittney begins to talk to them in a fancy tone, and I don't want to seem bored, so I just excuse myself to the restroom again. After a few minutes I actually find it and before my hand touches the handle someone calls my name. "Bailey?" It's my dad.

I turn around and see a man who looks like my dad. It's hard with my mask. But I know it's him. I don't want to get into gang stuff or whatever, so I act as though I know nothing of it.

"Dad?" I say as I walk closer. I put my arms around his back in a hug. "I've missed you so much!" I say into his ear. I guess it's true. I haven't seen him in so long. I have missed my father.

"I've missed you too!" He says, hugging me tightly. "How do you know Charlie and Brittney?" He says quietly.

"Oh, they're just my neighbors. They are good friends of mine! Do you know them?" I ask.

He pauses before answering. "Somewhat, I guess."

"It's really good to see you again dad!" I say giving him another quick hug.

"Where have you been?" He asks.

"Uh- I found this cute guy at the casino and stayed with him for a while. But then I got tired, and left, and moved into my own place! I won big at the casino!" I lied.

"Wow. That's great. How have you been?" He asks.

"I've been good! I got a dog!" I exclaim.

"A dog? Really?" He says.

"Yes! Her name is Willow." I said to him.

"Well-" My dad starts but a man in a suit walks over to my dad.

"Joseph- who is this?" He asks in a disgusting tone.

"No one." Dad answers. "Let's talk elsewhere." Before they walk away the man winks at me.

I have a bad feeling about that guy. What is my father doing here? I just push the thoughts to the back of my mind and go into the bathroom. After I take some looks like the mirror and some deep breaths, I walk out to find Brittney waiting for me.

"Bailey! Come on. We need to find you a partner for the dance!" She rushes me by dragging me through the crowd.

"But- I'm not that good, remember? I'll just sit out." I said to her.

"Nonsense! Come on!" She says.

We pass couples starting to get into formation everyone is paired up it seems. But then she practically makes me sprint to a man leaning against the wall, watching everyone.

He is tall, and has a beard, it's not a thick beard, it's sharp. His suit is a black with a green tie. It kind of matches my dress. He is built and looks lonely. "Here, you two can dance." She puts our hands together. "Go!" She orders.

We quickly but hesitantly walk to our spot in formation. His hand goes to my hip, and the other hand at his side like how Warren was. He doesn't speak, not even makes eye contact with me.

"I am sorry." I whisper. "You can probably just walk away. I'll go and hide." I try to laugh. His face remains stone still. "I'm not very good. So sorry if I step on you." Then the music starts.

As we do the routine, I don't even breathe. I am just so nervous, and hope I don't step on this man's toes. It's very awkward. My partner continues not to speak, and doesn't look at me. It makes me slightly insecure. I mess up on a step and go away rather than in, but thankfully his hand pulls my waist in. I silently thank him and apologize. To my surprise he nods his head. That makes me feel a little better.

Just then a gunshot sound rings out. There was a single scream, not me, but it sounded painful. What happens now? I try to look around, but then there is a rain of gunfire. I duck down. My partner pulls me closer and wraps his arms around me, pulling me away from the crowd.

We back up behind a large pillar and he shields me with his back to me. Then there is another shout of pain. I am so scared... again.

"Hey!" Someone calls toward us. "Move." He orders.

I look to see it's the guy from before, the one that winked at me, is standing there with a gun pointed at us. I'm not sure if it's for me or him. Then in a split second the man in front of me lunges forward and takes the guy's gun, shooting it once. I think it hit his leg. He grabs me and sprints me away.

As the man and I are running I see my father laying on the ground with blood on his white shirt, gasping for air. "Dad!" I shout. I break away from the man and to my father. When I get to him I kneel and hold his hands. I ignore the gun that lays beside him.

"D-dad?" I cry.

"You- you need to g-go." He says. "I-I love you. But you-you have to run." He begins to choke.

"No- no dad. Don't go. I'm sorry." His hands go limp in mine. "No. Dad!" I shake him a little. Then the man that carried me before snatches my waist, carrying me away. "No! Dad! I love you!" I cry.

Tears stream down my face, blurring my vision. My father just died. He is gone forever. Why did he have to go? Why didn't I reach out? I should have talked to him more. I've lost everyone. Willow is all I really have left. Everyone I loved is gone. Even Lewis is gone.

The man carrying me runs me to the same balcony I was at earlier looking out to the lights. He puts me on the ground, but I get to my feet. I notice we are cornered. The man stands in front of me, with his gun pointed at the bad guy.

"Move." The bad guy says "I'll shoot you both." He steps forward. "I will." He says, with another step forward.

Then two shots ring out. My partner falls back onto me, and lays on my lap with a growing blood stain on his shirt, he gasps for air. The other guy I think is dead. I unbutton the suit jacket of the guy on top of me.

"Oh gosh! Are-are you okay?!" I cry.

He doesn't answer, just looks me in the eyes, but I'm focused on the blood pouring out of his abdomen. I try to think back to what to do for a gunshot wound from what I've seen on television. I end up just pressing on it as hard as I can, trying to stop the blood.

He groans in pain. "I'm sorry. I-I don't know what to do!" I begin to panic over the thought of this man's life in my hands.

Just then he puts his hand over mine, squeezing it lightly. "It's okay." He says weakly.

"No! I- you-" I begin to ramble.

Then his body relaxes. "I'll see you later, my queen." He says.

I look into his eyes and a flood of memories hit me: I wave goodbye to my best friend, my first ever crush. Thinking I would never see him again. "Bye Knight in shining armor." I waved to Grim.

"Knight in shining armor?!" I exclaim. "Grim?!" I say taking off his mask. "Lewis?! Huh?"

He said I used to know him. He smiles. Lewis, is Grim? He has been here the entire time?! Then his eyes close.