Twenty-One | Pleasent Shock

TWENTY-ONE

" L E W I S "

- 8:00 pm -

"Charlie Wang, and his wife Brittney Wang, accompanied by Ms. Bailey Torres."

As soon as her name is said she comes into view, wearing a green dress that matches my tie and pocket watch. How did Charlie find her? I'm not complaining about seeing her again, she looks so radiant. Bailey looks even more beautiful than before, maybe it's because she is happy. I watch her smile. This could be a bad thing or a bad one.

- 9:13 pm -

I wait until Bailey is out of sight before I approach Charlie. Someone else is already talking, but I don't care. "I need to speak to the boss." I snap.

"Almost done here sir." The man replies.

"Now you're done." I ordered. He scoffs, but walks off.

"Mr. Grim, that was not very nice." Charlie sighs.

"Why did you bring her here?" I ask him.

"Who? Bailey? Do you know Bailey?" He asks.

"Respectfully, this is no coincidence, boss. Why would you bring her here? What do you want from her?" I begin to get protective.

"Bailey is simply a family friend. She is our new neighbor. And your tie matches her dress so perfectly!" Charlie explains.

"I did a background check twice on that entire state! How did I not see you?" I question.

"Son, you simply just aren't on my level. Is that the reason you came up here?" Charlie asks.

"Yes." I pause. "That is it." I say before walking away.

What if she finds Joseph? She'll probably put together the fact that I am here too. I have to try to keep Joseph away from her.

- 9:30 pm -

The slide show begins and everyone is focused on the screen. But my eyes continue to travel to Bailey. It's as if everytime I look at her she becomes more and more stunning. I wonder what I could have done to keep her around. Without her I've been glued to my work. I've even grown a short beard. I look like a mess.

Bailey kept me in line. Gave me a reason to be away from work. She helped me stay sane. I wish she was still here. But no, I had to be a jerk, and drifted away from her just enough to lose her pastents. She seems so happy right now. I have to stay away from her so she can stay happy. I'll just look at her, but that's it. Look at how beautiful she is.