28

Hopping into the front seat, she sighed. Violet's head thumped the seat as she leant backwards, her groan reverberating through the car.

"right," she announced into the empty space.

Turning her keys and starting to drive, "food, then find phil."

The old man had some shit coming his way. God, he'd sprung this on her just as he had the blackbourne-toma team. The one team famous throughout the academy for their family bond and overall hesitant attitude towards working with those outside their group. The one team he'd tried to get her to group with for two years or so. Violet had always refused, though through his insistence, he'd manage to get her to agree although reluctantly. With some stroke of luck, something had always happened to stop them from even meeting. Luck, she scoffed. Now Phil had gone and fucking gotten them to work together on a long term assignment. If they agreed, that was.

She pulled into the drive thru, glancing through her mirror. Another car pulled in moments later, a lady sat in the drivers seat, a man in passenger.

Looking forward, she thought about the girl driving. The same one she'd met earlier in the month. Kayli? An odd coincidence, sure, something felt off, the glares passed between the duo in the short space of time she'd looked. The pointed looks she could see sent towards her car by the man, discretely watching in her side mirror.

Pulling to the window, keeping an eye on her behind, she ordered- extra fries for Phil.

The man she didn't know was still talking, exaggeratedly waving his hands towards her car. Kayli seemed to be arguing too, something along the lines of 'it' being too early, based off of her lips.

Violet was clueless as to what it was, but seeing as how kayli was at the academy the last time she saw her, it was best to figure it out another time.

She thanked the person who handed her her food, reading the numberplate once more before pulling towards the exit.

On the way to Phil's house, she thought of how to deal with the man. Harsh or not? He knew when not to push, despite being stubborn, they both knew she was worse. And, she was almost certain he had a hidden reason or two for wanting them to team up so badly.

The only issue was, him being older, he automatically had authority when it came to academy business. No matter how much they were needed, he'd been with them the majority of his life, he was more valued. She wouldn't dispute that it wasn't meant to be that way, he was more important. He had family. Friends. A life. She had him.

That sounded sad. It was true, but God did it sound sad.

Turning her car into his drive, she realised the last time she'd been here was when she was introduced to Mr. Blackbourne, no doubt another trick Phil played.

Grabbing the food, she climbed out, shaking the stiffness from her legs.

He'd opened the door before violet had managed to reach it, pulling the girl into a hug. The food pressed into her uncomfortably. A laugh leaving her as she realised it was probably squished.

She peeled him away from her, handing him his fries as she passed, closing the door behind them.

"so," she threw one of her's into her mouth. "you gonna tell me why I'm now probably gonna be working with the blackbourne-tomas?"

He laughed. A deep, rumbling, contagious belly laugh. "well, dear, you can't stay with one friend forever you know. I've gotta get you socialising somehow."

"stop with this Phil, I don't need you messin' with everything. I'm happy how I am. Even with my only friends being two old men."

"I'm not old!" he replied, indignant.