“And that you love it,” Sarah added. “You can always tell when someone loves what they’re doing.”

“I thought you said you didn’t like this stuff,” Grady protested, throwing his hands up in the air. “You said it was stupid.”

I blushed, but thankfully no one could tell. My face was already far too red for it to make any difference.

“I think she’s terrible,” Grady said, glaring at me. “She’s been stumbling all over the place and messed up the routine twice.”

My mouth dropped open in surprise. I couldn’t believe that Grady would say that.

“Grady, come on. She’s just learning it and she’s already better than me. I’ve screwed us up three or four times today,” Bridge said while Tom nodded eagerly along. Ryder remained silent, staring at the floor. My heart ached as I realized he wasn’t going to defend me.

I must really be bad, I thought. He’s embarrassed he encouraged me. He wishes he hadn’t. And Sarah’s just being nice. Or trying to get in good with Mom.

“She’s awesome,” Tom spoke up. I smiled at him in return and he smiled back.

“What do you think, Hardyn?” Bridge asked, staring hard at him.

Hardyn took a deep breath, letting it out slowly. “I think…,” I waited anxiously for him to reply. I hadn’t believe I really, truly, deep down inside cared about what the others thought, but now that Grady was so vocally downing me, I wanted everyone else to be my staunch supporters.

But even I was surprised when Hardyn came through.

“She’s doing good,” he said, spinning the top on his water bottle. He shrugged. “Yeah, Sarah’s right. She could be better, but she’s probably rusty and it’s a new routine. Give her a couple of weeks of practice and I think she’ll do fine. She’s got a good foundation. You can tell.”

Grady stared at him, aghast.

“I told you,” Sarah said. “I’m going to run outside for a minute. Be ready to dance in five!” She jogged from the room.

I smiled at Hardyn thankfully, but he ignored me, turning instead to his uncle to go over several messages. It meant even more to me when he did that. I knew then he wasn’t being nice. I wasn’t even sure Hardyn knew how to be nice. He was simply stating what he believe to be true.

“Wait till you hear her sing,” Mom said, hugging me tighter.

“What?” I asked.

“Oh, just one day, Lindy,” Mom laughed, brushing off my question with one airy wave.

“She’s terrible, Mom! This isn’t fair!” Grady exploded. “I don’t want her practicing with us. It’s embarrassing.”

I swallowed hard, tears stinging my eyes. A deep sense of betrayal invaded my being and my chest felt heavy and dark. I had never thought my brother could be so cruel, so selfish.

Bridge and Tom glanced away from me. They know I want to cry, I thought and it made me even more upset.

“Grady,” Mom warned him through clenched teeth, but he just continued, ignoring her.

“I mean it, Mom,” he said. “I’ll quit.”

“You have a contract,” Mom said, her voice low. “Don’t threaten what you can’t carry through.”

Grady stared at her in silence. His eyes shone with a dangerous glint I had never seen before. Ryder came to stand beside me, taking my hand and squeezing it. I gulped hard, trying to keep back the tears.

Grady’s eyes widened as he stared at our hands. “I don’t want her to be part of this! You can’t do this! It was supposed to be me. Just me,” he said to Mom and then he stepped towards me. “Don’t, Lindy.” He warned me, staring into my eyes, but I couldn’t see him clearly through my tears. He sounded as if he were begging, almost pleading with me to fail. “If you know what’s good for you, you won’t.”

My brother hesitated as if he wanted to say more, but a glance from Mom stopped him.

“And you,” he turned to Ryder, stabbing his finger into his chest. “Stay away from my sister!”

“Mind your own business, Grady,” I said. “I’ll do what I want to do.”

Mom squeezed my shoulder again and it gave me strength.

“You’re just scared because I’m better than you anyway,” I added, immediately regretting my words.

Grady stared at me silently before glancing at everyone gathered and realizing he was outnumbered. Without another word, Grady snorted, laughing shortly. And then, shaking his head, he turned and walked away.

*****

Ok, guys, what did you think of this nice long, drama-filled update? lol Don't worry, the next section will be coming soon! Please don't forget to vote!