NEW. 51. Stink of the mate bond

Start from the beginning

My brows raise “And it didn’t occur to you that we’d like to know?”

“Please,” She rolls her eyes “This is ’ow fate wanted it, so this is ’ow it went.”

I glance at Luke with a look that says ‘Well, she seems happy about being here.’

To my absolute horror and surprise, his voice sounds in my mind. ‘That might have something to do with the fact that I had to drag her out of her cottage.’

A shudder goes through me, his voice snakes along my bones. Well damn me for forgetting that part of being a high ranking Lycan. Why the hell didn’t he do that before?

We’ll talk about this later.

Your will is mine, my love. He almost purrs, making my hairs stands. Yes, we will definitely talk about this later.

Korra’s face is delightfully repulsed “Are ya done yet?”

I turn my eyes to the witch “Can I trust you not to blow my head off?”

“Not remotely.”

The glare that Luke sent her way could’ve burnt holes through steel. Korra merely held up a hand in mock surrender.

“Cool down, beastie,” She says “I ain’t hurting yar treasure.”

She turns those blazing yellow eyes to me and its all I can do not to squirm as their undivided attention falls on me. As if reading a particularly puzzling paragraph off a piece of paper.

“The stars love ta play with ya,” She murmurs, then shakes her head “Who am I to object?”

I ignore the twist in my stomach, Luke’s hand tenses on my shoulder. Batting aside the panic slowly building in my bones, I sigh dramatically.

“Do it,” I tell her “Do it while the fit is on me.”

Kora pulls out the wand as old as herself and then jabs it at Luke’s direction “Move away from ’er, and stay away until I’m done.”

Luke removes his hand from me but doesn’t step away “Does that mean the process would make me want to rip your head off?”

A wicked smile “Likely.”

A low growl escapes Luke’s throat, but the witch only snickers “Not that ya would be able to touch ’er or me while I’m at it. Best if ya stay away on yar own.”

Luke takes two steps away from me, not an inch more “Mask it. Harmless and easy. And the gold you’ve been promised will leave with you.”

My heart drops to my stomach. Gold? He’s paying Korra in freaking gold?!

I make a mental note never to hire Korra for anything.

Korra grins one last time before the wand is pointed in my direction.

She closes her eyes, muttering words under her breath. Wisps of gold spin out of her wand and slowly swirl towards me. The wisps curl around me. I feel pain shoot up my skin, as if someone is burning my skin with a blue-hot flame.