Chapter 16: Our Fairy Night, Part 2

Start from the beginning

"Nothing will ever break us apart."

"I just... want to protect you."

"I know you will. We will stand by each other's side. We'll protect each other." Juvia rested her head on his chest.

"Because I love you."

"Juvia..." Gray felt a sense of warmth and reassurance filling his heart. All it took were those three words. He's always heard them so frequently from her, and yet... those words carried a tender and sweet feeling now. He wrapped his arms around Juvia, pulling her into a tight embrace.

Juvia felt his warmth envelope her entire body. For an ice wizard, his hug was rather cozy. She snuggled close against his chest.

"Juvia..."

"Hmmm?"

"I... may not be able say those words now, but... could you wait for the day I finally do?"

"Of course, Gray." She curled her arms around his back and pulled him closer. "I'll be waiting."

Waiting for the day he could say the words she desired to hear so dearly.

...

..

.

"Come on, Natsu! Let's dance together!"

"I told you, I can't dance!"

Lucy dragged Natsu to the dance floor as the Fairy Night commenced.

"Sure, you can!" Lucy said with a smile.

"B-But..."

"It's going to be fine! We're in this together." She assured him, slowly guiding his hand to her waist while putting her hand to his shoulder.

"Erhh..." Natsu reluctantly accepted to dance with her. As long as she's happy. With his free hand, he awkwardly took hold of hers. "Don't get mad at me if I step on your feet, though."

"Then try your best not to!" She winked. "Here, follow my lead."

Natsu paid utmost attention to his feet. Rather than treating it as a dance, he treated it as a game where he would avoid stepping on Lucy's feet. His head was bowed down and focused.

Lucy gently moved his head up by his cheek. "Hey, you should be looking at your dance partner."

"T-This is embarrassing..." Natsu averted his gaze, a faint blush appearing on his cheeks.

He's so cute... Lucy smiled warmly. "Let's take it slow, alright? One... two... three."

Natsu slowly followed her footsteps as they moved across the dance floor.

"See? You can do it." Lucy said. "It's fun, isn't it?"

"I guess..."

In the distance, Wendy was observing them dance together. It sent her heart sharp pangs of jealousy, leaving a sourer taste in her mouth. She turned around in place and walked towards the buffet in hopes of distracting her mind. But she couldn't help herself. Every now and then, she'd sneak glances at her beloved dragon slayer, only to pout and turn back again.

"Wendy, are you going to be okay?" Happy asked with concern. "Do you need some medicine? I can get you one."

"... Don't worry, Happy. I'm fine." She said softly. In fact, she wasn't fine.

"Wendy, why don't you sit down and take a break?" Carla suggested, pushing a chair to her.

"... Sure, I'll do that." Wendy sat down on the chair Carla offered her. She sighed deeply.