22 • Lunch

Chapter Twenty-Two:

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

Chapter Twenty-Two:

"Will that be all?"

Happy grunted at the same time that I thanked the waitress, and I narrowed my eyes in his direction. "You know, bein' a little polite won't kill you."

"I'm polite to you, isn't that enough?" He deadpanned.

Even though it was raised into me to have manners, growing up in Georgia did that to a person, I still couldn't help the grin that tugged up the sides of my lips. It was nice getting to spend some alone time with my best friend, out of the chair and in the real world.

"So, you ready for the ride up to Tacoma?" I asked when the perky brunette brought back our lunches and placed them on the table in front of us, then returned a moment later with two Coronas.

He groaned like I'd caused him physical pain and glared out the window at the storm clouds that were already starting to roll in. "It's meant to rain for the next week. Riding for days, freezing to death doesn't sound like fun to me."

I hadn't been thrilled when I'd learnt of the run to Tacoma that they would be leaving for two days later, but I was less than thrilled to learn about the weather situation they would all be riding in. Riding a motorcycle was dangerous to begin with, add in the storm that was about to hit us head on and I was terrified for the safety of the man I loved and the family that I'd been adopted into.

We made small talk over our meal, about the next tattoo that he had planned and how everything was going with the Sons.

"How is everything with you and Jax? Still happy?" He asked.

"Everythin's okay." I avoided his eyes so that I didn't give my emotions away. "Jax is actin' weird, though. He's- I think it's just because of this thing with Carlos De Leon, tryin' to find the balance of not walkin' on Marcus' toes and tryin' to make y'all some money, you know?"

Happy grunted again.

"It's just..." My voice trailed off.

He tilted his head to the side, but caught on to where my thoughts had gone instantly. "He's not cheating on you, little girl. If he was, I would kill him."

Even though my best friend threatening to murder my boyfriend was insane, it also brought me some sense of comfort that I hadn't known I'd needed, and I gave him a timid grin. "Thank you. I needed to hear that. So it's just the Carlos thin'."

Like before, Happy's back stiffened when I mentioned the man who'd become a regular topic in our home. "It'll work itself out, little girl, don't stress yourself."

The little blonde appeared back beside our table, singlet pulled much lower than it had been to show off her cleavage, to take our plates. She made a show of bending over to show Happy her best assets, but he didn't even bother to look.

When she'd huffed and left with a small stomp in her step, I raised an eyebrow. "You know, she was tryin' to get your attention."

"Her and every other whore in this town." He growled lowly.

I chuckled and finished the rest of my beer. "Could it be that my best friend is finally ready to settle down and leave his whorin' days behind?"

His pissed off expression turned to one of disbelief. "Me settling down? Never going to happen."

"You'd be surprised." I slid out of the booth and waited for him to do the same. "Love tends to spring up out of nowhere and hit you straight in the chest."

Happy opened the door for me so that I could walk ahead of him. "In the balls, little girl. Love kicks you in the balls."