23 • Family Dinner

Chapter Twenty-Three:

Happy and I arrived to Gemma's house for family dinner at five-to-six, when the sun had just started to set and all of the bikes were already parked in the driveway.

He waited for my to pull my car up to the curb and opened my door for me, put his arm around my shoulders and lead me towards the house.

"You're extra emotional and touchy today." I said my observations. "You're not secretly in love with me, or anythin', are you?"

He smirked down at me and my attempt at a joke when he turned the knob and shuffled us inside. "As if I could put up with your ass for the rest of my life. I'd kill you before we even got to have sex."

"Do I even want to know?" Jax grumbled, only hearing the last snippets of Happy's words when I bent down to kiss his cheek.

I shook my head with a soft smile, greeted the rest of the boys, and then walked down the hallway towards the kitchen where I knew Gemma would be.

She handed me an already-poured glass of wine as soon as I was in reaching distance. "Did you have a good day, baby?"

"Yeah, it was good." I looked around the kitchen. "Is there anythin' I can help with?"

Gemma shook her head. "You can take the guys out another beer and then sit down, I've got everything sorted out in here."

It was the first time since I'd started attending her weekly Family Dinners that Gemma hadn't asked me to do anything in the kitchen, so I did what she asked but wondered if she was angry at me for spending time without Happy and not inviting her along.

Jax kissed the side of my neck when I dropped into his lap and handed him a new beer, then carried on with the conversation he was in with Chibs, Tig and Juice.

I looked around the crowded room and frowned when I noticed one very important member was missing. "Where's Ope?"

"He's got the flu." He explained. "Probably in bed watching a porno and trying to beat himself to health."

Chibs let out a gruff laugh at Jax's words and I felt my cheeks burn. No matter how much time I spent around the outlaws, my blood still had the ability to rise to my face at a moments notice, especially when I wasn't prepared for a dirty comment.

"Tig, help me bring out the food." Gemma appeared in the room. "Everybody else go to the table."

Jax noticed my frown and shook his head, but lead me over to the table and dropped down in the chair next to me at the head of the table.

While Gemma and Tig were busy in the kitchen bringing out a ridiculous amount of food, Jax looked down at his phone and then slammed it down on the table.

"Is everythin' okay, babe?" I asked quietly, hoping that Tara hadn't had a change of heart and started to message again.

He gave me his best attempt at a smile, emptied his beer, and nodded. "Fine, darlin."