4 • Who The Hell Are You?

Chapter Four:

Chapter Four:

Besides the mess and clutter that came from a busy household, it only took a quarter of an hour to clean up the kitchen and looked as good as new by the time that I was done tidying.

I'd made meatloaf with baked vegetables for dinner and had made Diane sauce from scratch after Abel had given me puppy-dog-eyes that gave Larry's a run for his money, then stored it all in the fridge so that it would be ready for them whenever Jax got home.

Over the hours that we'd spent together alone, I had learnt a lot about the young boy. My guess on his age had been spot on and, even though he hadn't said it directly, the little boy did hold the weight of the world on his slim shoulders.

Gemma hadn't mentioned what time he should have a nap if he had one at all, so when his eyes got heavy and he let out a loud yawn I scooted onto the couch with him and pulled him into a hug. I wasn't sure if I was trying to offer him comfort to get him to rest, or if I was trying to give myself peace of mind that, if only for a tiny second, the little boy was okay and wasn't worrying about things he was too young to worry about.

I was lost in my train of thought on what I could do to make the little boy - who was cuddled up in his single-bed with my dog by his side - happy. I had experience with children, sure; nearly all of my friends had married their high school sweethearts as soon as we graduated and had settled down into family life quite quickly, as almost everybody did in my small hometown. Before I'd left and moved to Charming, I'd been their on-call babysitter, running whenever anybody needed me and trying to be in two places at once for the sake of making everybody happy.

My hands were drying the tools that I'd used to make their dinner, brain a million miles away, when I was cornered.

"Who are you?"

The voice made me jump and I spun around, teatowel in my hand as I let out a small squeak of surprise. "Holy hell, you scared the crap outta me!"

Standing across the kitchen from me with a raised eyebrow and arms folded across his muscular chest was the most gorgeous creature that God had ever created to walk on His green earth.

His shaggy blonde hair hung down to just on top of his shoulders so that the strands brushed the white shirt he was wearing, but he had it slicked back with product so that it stayed out of his beautiful, albeit tired, face. His beard was unkept and on the longer side, the kind of unruly and untamed that my daddy would have hated if he'd been there to see it.

His eyes were the kind of baby-blue that showed off all of his emotions and promised to get me into trouble if I let them draw me in too deep, and I looked away from them so that he didn't pin me to my spot with just a look.