(19) Apologize

Seven days

Seven days.

That's how long it has been since I have talked to Valerina.

One excruciatingly long week.

"Do you really think I don't notice it?" My mom asked.

We were currently at my house. My mom was discharged from the hospital two days ago and now she is back at home.

"What do you mean?" I asked, playing dumb.

I haven't told my mom about my fight with Valerina yet. She was so happy that she was being discharged from the hospital that I didn't want to ruin the atmosphere.

"Don't play dumb. Something happened between you and Valerina, didn't it?" She asked. "Tell me the truth."

"Yes."

"I knew something was up between you two. You haven't talked to her ever since I was brought back home. She doesn't call you. You don't call her. I am pretty sure she doesn't know that I am back at home." My mom stated the facts.

"We got into a fight." I stated, not in the mood to talk about it. But this is my mom we are talking about.

"About what?" She urged. I continued on to tell her the whole story.

"Dear, she was just trying to help." My mom sighed.

"I know. But I don't want her to pity me." I argued.

"She does not pity you. I can see it in her eyes. It's not sympathy. It's empathy." My mom stated. And at the back of my mind, I knew she was right. And that I had messed up by blowing up on Val.

"I just wish she had told me." I sighed.

"If she would have told you that Dr. Parker is her aunt, would you have let her help you?" My mom asked.

"No."

"Exactly. And I knew that Dr. Parker was her aunt." My mom informed me.

"What?" I raised my eyebrows.

"Yes. One day, when you were busy with your job, she came to the hospital and asked if it would be okay. She also said that she would ask her aunt as a last option, when no doctors would be available." My mom stated.

"Oh. Why didn't you tell me this earlier?" I asked.

"She told me not to. And you can't blame her for helping you. If she hadn't helped, I would be dead by now. Six feet below. And you would be sitting at my grave." My mom sadly smiled.

"Ma! Please don't say things like that. You are not dying anytime soon." I said as I wrapped my arms around her. She just hugged me back.

"Well, it seems that you have some apologizing to do." My mom stated and I couldn't agree more.

" My mom stated and I couldn't agree more