Prologue

(Buckingham Palace, 1863)

"You do not approach that child or else our family will fall from the queen's grace." A countess once hissed to her daughter as she discretely pulled her away.

Not only her but the others who noticed the abnormality amongst them. They were all staring and observing the beautiful child, wearing a black dress to the Queen's Ball. She may look like she's grieving but others whisper to each other that it's been a year since her parents' death and just being rebellious. 

"Long live the Queen." The child greeted to her grandmother who just nodded in acknowledgement. Once she did what she just have to do, Agatha boldly walked out of the hall leaving the nobles especially women lean to their friends to gossip about the ever mysterious granddaughter of Queen Victoria.

She is Agatha Tabitha Claudia Hesse-Darmstadt, the only child of the late Grand Duke and Duchess of Hesse in Germany. Although it was unfortunate that her mother died when she was three years old and her father two years ago, so it was no wonder that some had created a nickname for her whilst she is yet to be introduced to the society, 'The Cursed Child'.

There was a pair of mother and son watching that said child's every move. "Poor child." She said with her lips covered behind her fan. 

The son took the initiative to follow the girl. There was no problem as the mother doesn't care for such rumors, her family is strong enough to disobey the queen for things such as these, and the fact that she, Claudia Phantomhive, is known to be the best friend of Agatha's mother, Alice, makes her worry about the girl.

Agatha, who got out of the hall, quickly paced towards the other hall where the portraits of the Queen's children are displayed. Her light blue eyes observed one painting after the other until she reached the third portrait, it was her mother's.

Her mother's brunette hair adorned with roses, the white dress with black lace to remember Agatha's maternal grandfather's death before her mother's wedding, she looked sophisticated and a beauty that could only be admired from afar. 

"Mother, I've understood some of the words you've written in your letters for me." It was written in Latin and some of the words were said to be ancient that not even famous tutors could not decipher or translate. 

A tear fell from her eyes, one after another, Agatha couldn't hold it back. She fell on her knee and covered her face, she sobbed. 

"It seems like water got on your face, milady." Someone said near her. 

Agatha looked up with her hands on her face, peeking through her gloved small fingers, "W-who are you?" A boy was kneeling beside her, offering a white handkerchief with embroidered letters 'V.P.'

He looked handsome as he smiled with his eyes closed and she saw a beauty mark under his left eye. "Forgive my impudence, princess. My name is Vincent, heir to the Phantomhive Earldom."