Soon, they got married and my grandma got pregnant with their first child. My grandfather was over the moon when he heard that he was going to be a dad. But decided to keep this news only amongst his most trusted family members. Ilaya was like a brother to him, his best friend, the one whom he trusted with his life, so he went and gave him the news too. Ilaya was happy for his best friend, or that is what he wanted my ded to know. But soon after sometime my grandma lost her baby."

A gasp escapes my lips, as I look at him in shock. "How?" The question tumbles out of my mouth.

He sighs heavily, "Miscarriage...Both my grandparents were grief stricken at the loss of their first baby. But as they say, 'Time heals your wounds'... Indeed time healed their wounds, and they thought of conceiving a second baby. When the same thing happened for the second time, my Ded decided to keep their third baby a secret from everyone. This time, he didn't even informed Ilaya about the expecting baby.

To protect his wife and unborn child, he brought them to a secluded cottage, that was situated in the heart of the mountains, he had purchased some years before. No one knew about that secret place. Not even Ilaya.

Citing the reason to overcome the grief at the loss of their two unborn babies and a change for atmosphere, my ded took babushka to the cottage and made Ilaya temporary boss in charge until their return. Only their trusted doctor who was a kind man and a maid who was loyal to my grandpa were allowed to accompany them. The maid was in her fifties and was the one who had raised grandpa with motherly love. That was one of the reason Ded trusted her.

The pregnancy went well and Babushka gave birth to a healthy baby boy. A couple of months after the birth, they happily returned with their bundle of joy back to their estate. Everyone was shocked but happy as well to see a heir in the arms of their queen, except one.

Ilaya went berserk and started shouting at my grandfather for betraying him and not informing him with such a big news. Ded thought that his anger was acceptable, as he might have felt betrayed for keeping such an important news from him. He thought Ilaya was in shock and soon might come to terms when he would realize Ded's reasoning behind all this.

Days went by, and Ilaya was still holding the grudge against my Ded and it was getting on his nerves. He had thought that eventually his friend's anger would dissipate and he would understand him. My grandfather thought that it was enough. With the intend of knocking some sense into his friend's brain, he went to his room to talk to him, but found the room empty.

Just as he was about to turn and leave the room, something caught his attention. There was a pill lying on the carpet. Picking it up, he examined the pill in his hands and thought of discarding it as some kind of a drug pill. But his brain thought otherwise.

Walking inside, he stealthily opened his bedside drawers to find three various types of pill bottles. Those were not the drugs they dealt with. Being a mafia boss, he knew that.

'Is he not well? Or is he suffering from some kind of ailment that I don't know? But why didn't he tell me anything about this?' Those were the thoughts running in his mind. Ded knew, if he confronted Ilaya, he would deny it. Hence, he took a sample of pills from each bottle and handed them to the doctor for investigation. But when the doctor came back with the report. my grandfather was appalled.

Those were the pills used to cause miscarriage and one pill contained poison. He felt as if the earth beneath his feet was shaken, turning his world upside down. He couldn't believe his best friend had betrayed him in the worst way possible. He was the murderer of their two unborn babies. It was then he started to join all the pieces together, how he was furious when he hid the news of their third baby from everyone, from him.