act five ➻ part six

Start from the beginning

"Tch, do your worst," you scoff. You nearly mirror his stance and cross your arms over your chest, but you think twice when you see the quirk of his brow at your tone. You have pushed your luck enough in the past twenty-four hours, so perhaps you need to hold back just a tad until Hongjoong is less... on edge with you. "I was ready to kill myself last night to stop him. What more can you do to me now?"

Now, it's Hongjoong's turn to scoff, and the huff of air that follows is so sharp it sounds like a whistle. He pushes off the desk in the same movement, arms falling down to his sides, and with each following word, he takes a step closer to where you stand.

"You think you can afford to be reckless and risk your life over someone as insignificant and pathetic as Han Jisung?"

He's close enough to jab a finger into your sternum now, knocking hard against the bone just beneath your collarbone. His height disadvantage from last night is gone as well; he must have had time to make himself presentable before calling you up to be drawn and quartered (seemingly for Yunho's amusement because he's just having the absolute time of his life over there).

"Do you have every right to act that way with him? Perhaps you do, but you will not, under any circumstances, threaten your own life to prove a point under my command." Hongjoong presses closer, enough to hiss his next words against the shell of your ear and leaving you to stare past his shoulder directly at Yunho. "I need you alive. When you agreed to be part of my crew, you trusted me with your life. And as such, I will not allow you to throw your own life around so foolishly. Understood?" The distance between you increases as he leans back. You expect more words from him but all he does is arch a brow and stare at you with inquiry to his gaze.

"Yes, Hongjoong," you murmur before going back to chewing at your lower lip. Hongjoong catches your chin with his index finger a moment later though, forcing you to look back at him.

"Do not mistake my kindness last night for mercy, Y/N. I am your captain still and you will regard me as such."

"Yes, Captain," you grit out, teeth pressed so tight that your jaw hurts as you speak. Hongjoong laughs — whether it's at your expression or the way you force the words out is unbeknownst to you, but he steps back to give you more space after you respond. Yunho hums from his place at Hongjoong's desk. He slips the pen out to point the tip in your direction, a cruel smile pulling the corners of his lips up.

"It seems you were right after all, Captain," he singsongs. "Here I thought you wouldn't be able to keep her in line." Hongjoong rolls his eyes a bit at that but does nothing more than sending a half-hearted glare back at Yunho over his shoulder.

"What's going on?" You ask as you watch their brief interaction with a narrowed gaze of your own.

"Hm, nothing, nothing. Now, the real reason I don't want you going on the mission to retrieve Mingi is that you will be going on the team to recover San."

"The what?" You echo, brows rising at the mention of San. Hongjoong continues as though you didn't interrupt, not pausing to answer your question.

"I don't want to run the crew too thin as it is, but it's best to send more people with Jisung in the off chance he does decide to misbehave. Once that team returns, you will be dispatched with Wooyoung to recover San." Hongjoong pauses to smile a little. "That works out best for you, does it not?"

Frankly, Hongjoong has no reason to send you on the recovery mission for San. If he were truly punishing you, he wouldn't even let you dream of it. So why?

"Why would you let me go on that mission knowing it's what I want? Wouldn't a true punishment be to not send me on that mission?" You inquire against better judgment. Hongjoong shoves his hands into his pockets and tilts his chin to the ceiling.