Adoption, Asmaka, and an Angry Adhisesha

Start from the beginning

"So you see," Bharat continued where Shatrughan could not. "That kingdom was inhumane! He was such a..." Bharat paused, as if having difficulty, remembering Lakshman's scary demeanour, even as a baby. "....cute, baby that we couldn't just leave him there, where he wouldn't be able to thrive AT ALL!"

"Because killing is definitely what I do worst." Lakshman agreed. 

-----O-----

"What's he doing?" Shatrughan asked Lakshman quietly. They, and Bharat of course, watched as Ram paced back and forth. The rest of the family was busy showing Zubair and his humongous procession of four hundred thousand trumpeteers, but the four brothers had claimed collective rash. "Do you think that he might believe my facade that you were adopted, Lakshman bhaiyya?"

"I bet she loves him!" Ram wailed, and pulled Lakshman down with him, putting his head on his shoulder. "Do you think that she loves him?" When Lakshman simply shook his head, Ram sat up, exhaling relief. And then his face crumpled. "Well what would you know?!" Ram asked, dissolving into murmurs of self-consciousness again. "Childhood friends. I can't match that. Maybe Sita and Zubair should marry instead." he stuck his tongue out at that, and then stood up. "NO! Never! Mine first!"

"Then, bhaiyya, you need to act great!" Shatrughan protested. Bharat agreed, nodding along. "She already loves you, so no need to show her! Show Zubes the Aires! Show him why you're perceived as the most capable prince in the land! Go on! Ram bhaiyya, show that-"

Present

Lakshman paused thoughtfully. "You all don't mind if I curse, right? I mean, you're all fifteen plus for sure, but it's a matter of personal preference, so...." he trailed off, and Hanuman waved him off, thinking he must mean 'bloody fool' and stuff like that. "Okay."

Flashback

"KILL HIM!" Lakshman roared, drawing his sword in the excitement, and waving it around. Bharat hastily slapped a hand on his mouth, and Shatrughan quickly wrestled the sword out of his twin's hand and back into its sheath, smiling sheepishly as Ram sighed exasperatedly, his hands hanging limply at his side. There was silence, and then, "Yeah, I agree. I might be adopted."

Ram burst into more tears.

-----O-----

Dinnertime came quicker than anyone could imagine. The brothers walked into the hall, Ram and Shatrughan exchanging a glance as they sat down. "I hope you're all healed now," Janak simpered hopefully, clasping his hands together as the plates were set down. "Maybe we can just relax and chat a little bit with Rajkumar Zubair after recovering from the shock that Rajkumar Lakshman is adopted."

Ram nodded, smiling softly. "So tell us, Zubair, How large is the Shakya Kingdom? Is the agriculture good there?" Zubair nodded, in the middle of stuffing food in his mouth, and Sita shifted a few inches away from him. Bharat winked at Shatrughan. "Um, alright. The rains must be great there. You're very lucky to be next in line to the throne to that kingdom."

Ram didn't seem to want to brag very much, and Shatrughan rubbed his temples. They needed a bragger. Suddenly, he looked up at Lakshman, who was calmly dining, though keeping two of his dark eyes trained on Sita and Ram, who seemed more lovey dovey than ever, though Sita still occasionally glanced at Zubair out from the corner of her eye. Lakshman couldn't tell if it was with disgust or admiration.

Shatrughan suddenly grinned, and poked Lakshman, whispering something in his ear. Lakshman nodded, and cleared his throat. "You know, when we were children, Ram bhaiyya killed a tiger on his first shot the very first time he went hunting with Papa. We still have the skin. And then, one time in Gurukul, he helped defend the entire ashram from flying demons. And then, just a couple weeks ago, he defeated two giants and an assortment of monsters. It's said that he may as well be the demon-killer of the world."