Chapter 19

Britain walked away quickly, his mind darting around as he left (Y/N) behind in the hallway. Guilt weighed on his heart, but it was quickly pushed away by frustration and depression. "I can't be with her." Britain grumbled to himself stubbornly, yet he couldn't help but feel his love for Paris slipping away from him, like water leaking through a cracked bottle. It scared him, he wanted to hold on to her, feeling as if letting his feeling go for her would be a sin. It would be wrong and cruel, especially to his sons and France who loved her just as much as he did.

Britain threw his door open before slamming it close behind him, taking off his hat and monocle, tossing it aside. Not giving it a care as he stumbled into the bathroom, stumbling over to the sink, turning on the water, cupping his hands under the cold liquid, gathering it before splashing it onto his face. He looked back at the mirror to see Paris standing next to him, clinging to him before whispering, "It's time." Her voice sounded soft in his ear, almost sounding like the wind, her pure white eyes stared into his white colored orbs, his pupils becoming shaky.

Britain closed his eyes tightly, his heart hammering against his chest in fear. He then opened his eyes to see Paris gone, he took a deep breath in before letting it out slowly, calming himself. He pulled himself away from the sink as he walked out of the bathroom before stepping out onto the balcony. He bent over the railing as he looked out across the jungle, the sound of frogs and crickets is the only thing he could hear.

Britain let out another sigh, taking a hand and dragging it through his hair, "Maybe ... it is time." The English country mumbled to himself as the image of Paris began to fade from his mind. "No! She ... I can't." He shook his head as his voice cracked.

"Britain." A soft voice spoke behind him, causing his head to snap up, turning around to see France standing in the doorway of the balcony. "What's going on my friend?" France questioned, walking up to Britain's side. Britain didn't answer as he looked away, looking down towards his hands instead. France let out a sigh, "Is it the nigh-"

"Can you shut up." Britain snapped before France could finish his sentence, sending a small glare up at France before looking back down at the jungle. France didn't say a word, nor did he react to Britain's outburst.

"You know ... it's ok to move on." France spoke after a few minutes, looking at Britain with a sad smile. "That's what's happening ... isn't it?" He questioned, watching his friend's shoulders tense up.

"It would ... be wrong." Britain spoke in a soft mumble, looking down at the jungle in shame.

"Wrong how?" France questioned, his voice becoming firm.

"I ... because I loved her. She died in the most gruesome way and I couldn't save her." Britain choked out, "The least I can do is-"

"You are such an imbécile!" France growled, slamming his hand on the stone railing, wincing lightly as his hand made contact with the hard stone. "I was there! I watched my sister die outside of my grasps! I watch him torture her! I know exactly what she went through!" France screamed out at him, causing Britain to wince, his shoulders slumping.

Silence seemed to spread between the two before France let out a sigh, seeming to calm himself, "But I also grew up with her, she was my little sister, the person I swore I would protect with my whole life." He chuckled, "I can still remember when she told me she fell in love with you ... I was furious. But the way she talked about you, the way her eyes sparkled just by the mention of your name, it extinguished my fury for a moment, long enough for me to accept it." France turned his body to face the country. "She loved you till the end, she wouldn't want you to suffer, to stay alone forever." France spoke, causing Britain to slowly look at France. "It is scary, I know, but it's alright to move on. They will forever have a place in your heart, no matter what happens." France added with a small smile.