"I'm gonna miss this, you know?" Alex pulled his boyfriend close, tucking the smaller teen's fluffy curls under his chin, "I still can't believe I'm leaving for a whole year."

"Oh yeah," Ollie shrugged casually, "When are you leaving again?"

"Oh. I'm flying in three days, don't you remember?" Alex flinched. That one kind of hurt not going to lie.

Although leaving Ollie was all that consumed Alex's mind ever since they had booked the flights for his year abroad in university about a month ago, Ollie hadn't even batted an eye through it all.

The jock knew that this had been planned out from the start, and they both had been aware that it was going to happen at some point. He also knew that Ollie wasn't one to wear his emotions on his sleeve, but this level of indifference was unusual even for him.

He never wanted Ollie to feel sad or heartbroken because of him, ever. He lived to see that adorable smile,
but a small selfish part of him had hoped that Ollie would at least be a little fazed by it. That the thought of not waking up beside the jock every morning would make him a little, just a little bit upset.

Heck Alex himself had almost cried like three times in the past week (okay, he cried, whatever, shut up). Once when he saw a family of ducks crossing the road and realized that he wouldn't be able to go swimming with Ollie anymore, or lend the younger his arm in the water when he got tired after a few laps.

Another time when Ollie's nail had chipped off and Alex went to help him file it out, and remembered that he wouldn't be able to hold his boyfriend's small and slender hands in his own when he was abroad. What was he supposed to hold when he went out for groceries or to the mall, or the cinema?! Air?!

Nothing fit in his grip as perfectly as Ollie's hand. Nothing could ever be as satisfying.

The third was when he saw an empty bench in the park and realized that he would have to go to the doctors alone. That part was the scariest.

Alex had always went to the doctor with Ollie since they both moved out to university. His boyfriend somehow lost all his shyness and anxiety when Alex was sick or hurt, easily listing all the eight thousand symptoms the jock was too tired to or forgot to mention (or simply didn't notice), and holding his hand the whole time. Plus Ollie even let Alex sleep on his shoulder and stroked his hair while they were waiting for their turn. It was so nice, he loved being sick...

"Oh yeah, I completely forgot between all my assignments and the packing." Ollie shrugged casually, "I'll just tell my teachers that I'll be late to class on Monday since I'm dropping you off."

"Y-yeah, thanks." Alex responded trying not to let the hurt seep through his voice.

...

The next few days flew by quickly with Ollie being as nonchalant and unaffected as ever as Alex's departure neared.

Every time the jock would try to have a conversation about leaving or even bring it up, Ollie would swiftly dodge the subject or brush it off as if he didn't even care.

"It's the last night we get to sleep like this huh?" Alex thought out loud, pulling his boyfriend closer, "I don't know how I'm gonna sleep there all alone."

"I don't know, I'm kinda excited to have this room to myself so I'm sure you will get used to it too." Ollie responded casually, admiring his new bed in his shared student apartment with Danny, which was smaller than the two single beds Alex and Ollie had joined in their old studio, but comfy regardless, "Plus I get to stay with Danny."

"Y-yeah, that does sound fun." Alex let out a forced laugh. The jock knew Ollie didn't mean that he didn't enjoy sharing an apartment with the older, his boyfriend was just excited to live with his best friend, but that still somehow felt like a punch to the gut.