Chapter 25

Byron
^^^^^

"Good afternoon, Mr. Taylor!" Dr. Campbell said, walking into her office. I was sitting on her comfortable ass couch.

Dr. Campbell looked about 40 and she was pretty. She had long brown braids and was wearing a white pantsuit. She was a light skin woman with a nose piercing.

"Hi, Dr. Campbell." I spoke up as she sat down.

"Please call me Liz." She insisted and I nodded. "How was your day today?"

"It was okay, I guess." I shrugged my shoulders.

"Okay, why wasn't it great?" She stayed writing stuff in her notebook.

"Do you have to write stuff in your notebook?'' I asked her.

"Well, I like to so we can see the progress you make."

"Can you not today?" She put the notebook down. "My day was just normal. Nothing special." I shrugged.

"What did you do at school?"

"I went to each class, focused on my work, ate lunch, and came here."

"Did you hang out with any friends?"

"No."

"Why not?" She pressed.

"I don't have any."

"Why do you think that?"

"Um, well the people who I thought were my friends left me in a car to die." I admitted. I didn't want to talk about this.

"How so?"

"Do we have to talk about this?" I asked her.

"No, we do not." She shook her head. "Let's talk about your family." She suggested.

"Fuck no."

"Why not?"

"Because you're gonna go tell my brother about what I say."

"I'm not allowed to tell anyone about what we talk about. Everything you say is completely safe with me." She assured me.

I still didn't trust her.

"Uh, well my parents are dead. They died when I was 5 and we were never really close to either side of family so my brother raised me. He's my legal guardian. That's about it."

"How do you feel about your parents' death?" She was asking some questions that really cut deep.

"I mean, it upsets me. I don't even know all the things that happened because I was so young and my brother refuses to tell me. All I remember was this police officer and CPS worker coming to my house to try and take me but my brother got their in time. It was really confusing, I guess." I explained to her and she nodded.

"Do you think if Jovan were to tell you all the details and not leave anything out on what took place that day, it would be less confusing?"

"I want him to tell me but I don't think he would. He acts like our parents' death doesn't affect us because he was 18 and I was 5. Though, I remember vividly everything that happened. Except the shit that he won't tell me. I don't know if he thinks I'm too young to know the truth but I wish he'd tell me." I explained.

Jovan never really told me what happened that night. There was a lot more to it. It wasn't just Mama and Pops dying in a car accident. There was a lot more to the story and he refused to tell me.

He was the type of person to take shit to his grave. It was annoying because I deserve to know what happened to my parents too. I'm not young anymore, I can handle the truth.

"He thinks that was just a vague night for me. I walked dhome from my neighbor's house to my house and this police officer grabbed me and made me sit outside in handcuffs. I was 5 years old. I was confused and didn't understand why they were so rough with me. I watched Jovan come and sign a bunch of papers to take me home and during the car ride he told that our parents died."

"What makes you think there's more to the story?" She asked me. Is this all they do? Ask questions?

"I don't know. He just won't talk to me about it so I suspect there is more to he story." I shrugged.

"Okay, well this was a good start. I want you to ask Jovan to tell you the real story on what happened and to leave nothing out. If he refuses tell him that you need to know and it bothers you. When you come back, I want you tell me the full story and how you feel about it. Okay?" She basically demanded.

"Okay. I can do that."

"Thank you, Byron. I want you to have a great weekend." She said. I said goodbye and left out her office to meet Jovan in the lobby.

"How was your first therapy session?" He asked and I shrugged.

"It was okay, I guess."

I didn't feel like talking about the shit we talked about in therapy. Dr. Campbell wanted me to ask Jovan about what really happened but I wasn't ready for that.

We left and of course we went to Iva and Vie's place because I had a couple more college applications to do.

I applied to 5 of them already and I wanted to apply to 2 more. My grades were looking phenomenal and all the sports that I did in the past four years makes my applications even better.

Vie had been pulling through and working with me. She was becoming one of my favorite people to be around. She can still be bossy but she has more relaxed side.

Walking inside the house, Mini ran up to and put her index finger to her mouth.

"Mommy is sleeping." She whispered. We quietly laughed and I went over to the couch where Iva was sleeping.

"Girl, move over. I want to take a nap too." I said loudly and she jumped out of her sleep.

"Fuck off, Byron." She gave me the middle finger.

"Mommy, you're not supposed to say those words." Mini reminded Iva.

"My apologies, baby." She tried to go back to sleep so I sat on her.

"Byron, I will drop kick out the damn window. Get the hell off of me." She started pushing me but I didn't budge.

"Get off her before you crush her lungs." Jovan hit my shoulder.

"I'm gonna go find Vie so I can annoy her." I got up and bursted into her room.

"Nobody ever taught you how to knock?" Vie scrunched up her face.

"Nope, whatcha doin?"

"Grading." She rolled her eyes.

"Ooh, who got bad grades?" I sat next to her on the bed.

"Shania. She's the only one who has a D because she won't do the work." Vie shook her head.

"Oh, Shania who loves to fight people. I mean, why do you care? If she doesn't do the work, that's on her." I shrugged.

"Bryon, you never used to do the work. I care about all my students and want them to get a good grade in my class. Shania is smart. When she does do the work, she gets 100% everytime. I just wished she'd do the work."

"I mean, I could talk to her. She probably has a good reason."

"I just want her to have a future. I don't want her to throw that all away because she didn't do the work and that resulted in bad grades. So, if you could talk to her that'd be nice."

Everyone knew Shania. She was a hothead and got suspended 6 times in the last 4 years of highschool. She barely came to school and when she did, she skipped.

I didn't talk to her but she seemed like she had some issues at home. Sophmore year, she'd come to school with bruises and shit. I always wanted to ask but it wasn't my place.

Vie was asking me to talk to her just so she would have a life after highschool. Which Vie did for me. My life would've been in shambles if she didn't push me to be my best.