Chapter 1

Ivena
^^^^^

"Have a nice day." I said to the lady, checking her groceries out. I was about to clock out and go get Mini from daycare. I had to be there by 8:00 or the charge would be $100 instead of $50. It was expensive but  it was the best for her.

I sighed as I made my way to the car. I was so exhausted and still had to get Mini some food and give her a bath. I already knew she was probably going to throw a tantrum when I come to get her and today was not the day.

As I sped through the highway my mom started to call me.

"Hey mama." I tightened my grip on the steering wheel.

"Hey baby. Can I see Mini tomorrow?" She wasted no time.

"And here I was thinking you missed me." I joked. "I'll ask Vie if she can drop her off tomorrow.

"Okay, love you." She said before hanging up. Even though my mom only called to come get Mini, I'm glad she was because I could save the money.

I finally made it to the daycare at 7:50 and I fast paced to the door. I opened the door and greeted the lady at he front desk. I signed Mini out and walked over to the table she was at.

"Hey babes. Let's go." I grabbed her hand but she pulled away.

"Mommy, I don't wanna go." She whined.

"You'll be back on Wednesday." I said as if she had any concept of time.

"No!" She screamed.

"Amina." I said solemnly but she continued. Tired of her tantrum, I picked her up and walked out the door. Usually, I would comfort her damn cries but I needed to go home and sleep.

I set her in her car seat and she continued to cry until she realized I wasn't giving in. When I stopped hearing her cry, I looked back and she was knocked out. My baby was just tired.

I pulled up to the apartment complex and walked into Vie cooking pasta. Thank God because I really didn't feel like cooking.

"Aunty!" Mini ran to Vie and hugged her leg.

"Wassup Vie." I greeted her tiredly.

"Hey Iva."

"Mama wants Mini to come over tomorrow." I informed her. "Can you take her? I have work tomorrow."

"I have to work too." She took the pot off the stove.

"Can you drop me off then drop her off?" We shared a car and Vie usually dropped me off if she had work too.

"Yeah what time?"

"7:00."

We ate dinner and I gate Mini a bath. I tried to tuck her in her bed but she was doing too much. She always wanted to sleep in my bed. Giving in, I put her in my bed and kissed her goodnight.

---

My alarm went off at 6:00 and I watched Amina sleep peacefully. I took a quick shower and and got dressed for work. I put on a black pants, my black work shirt and a floral long sleeve under because it be cold.

I lifted Mini out the bed and got her dressed. She was so tired.

"Mommy, I'm tired." She slumped as I pulled the shirt over her head.

"I know, baby. You're gonna see GG, okay?" My mom knew it was hard for us and she always helped out. I wished Amina's father was still here. Everything would've been easier.

Shaking the thoughts, I carried Mini to the car and we all got ready to leave.

"You ready?" I asked Vie.

"Yeah let's go." Vie turned on the engine and drove out she started playing Dababy but I quickly turned that shit off because Mini would start repeating it.

Vie dropped me off at work and I kissed Mini's forehead before I left. She grabbed my face kissed me a bunch of times like she always does. I love my little princess.

As I walked into the store I started to dread even working today because the manager was here. He's so annoying, bro.

"Good morning, Ivena." He said.

"Morning." I kept my head low.

"There is a contractor coming to discuss the new renovation for Callard's." He said and I frowned, knowing I'd have to speak to him. Joe never bothered to give me a raise but gave me the most responsibilities out of everyone. I talked to everyone for him and did most of the work.

I really didn't have to work here. I had a degree and could work as a real estate agent. I already took the real estate test but jobs like that are only across town and we couldn't afford anything over there. It wouldn't make sense to drive an hour everyday for 6 months until I had the money to actually buy a place down there. It would be better though because my mom lives there and she could help take care of Mini.

"Just make sure you mention everything we talked about last week." He reminded me and I nodded. Today I didn't really mind because I didn't feel like standing up and working so most of the day I'd just be sitting.

I really deserved to be manager in this store.

When the contractor got here he looked nothing like what I'd pictured. I thought he'd be old and white. But, he was a tall, dark skin with a lean body. Even though he was fine, I had to expect that he was probably a dog.

"Hi, I'm Ivena. I'll be discussing the renovations for the store." I greeted him. He smiled at me as he looked me up and down.

"I'm Jovan Taylor. Nice to meet you." We sat down and gave all the ideas we had in mind for the store. It was supposed to look new and pretty.

Something that made me not want to be here anymore was the fact that everytime we made eye contact I'd get butterflies. Motherfucking butterflies? Hell no.

Anyway. It was all smooth sailing. We already budgeted for these renovations and new how much it should cost.

"So I'll see you tomorrow?" I said, knowing they were going to waste no time.

"Yeah. I'll see you tomorrow." He stood to his feet and left. It was now 9am and I had to work until 5pm. I wished this meeting had taken a lot longer. I dragged my feet to the cashier and waited for someone to come.

----

Work was finally over, I was so relieved. My feet were aching. I sat outside, knowing Vie wouldn't be here on time. She stayed at that bum ass highschool until 5:30 so she's at least be 30 minutes late.

I put my headphones on and closed my eyes. That was the easiest thing to do.

"It's not safe to have your eyes closed and have headphones in." A voice said as they tapped me. That scared the shit out of me.

"Do you need something?" I asked before I looked up. It was Jovan's tall ass towering over me.

"Nah, you need a ride?"

"No."

"You sure?

"Yes. Bye." I waved him off. He smirked and walked away. I rolled my eyes hard as I kept my eyes opened.

I waited for the car to pull up and it made my day to see my baby in the backseat. She was fast asleep.

"Hey Vie." I greeted her as I sat in the passenger seat.

"Wassup Iva." She started driving out the parking lot. "How was work?"

"Alright. The contractor came in today. You?"

"Man, these children get on my nerves." She said reffering to her students. I don't know why this girl decided to be a highschool teacher. But, to each is own.

We finally made it home and I fed Mini some leftovers and she decided to be in her room tonight. Thank God, 'cause that girl be kicking me in my sleep.