Chapter 8

Jovan
^^^^^

My workers had 1 month until the renovations on the store were supposed to be done. They were a little behind and I needed them to be back on track.

I was elated. Iva was finally started to trust me and I had more money coming in. Byron was finally going back to school and getting 'average' grades. He was still on punishment for hanging around the wrong bitches.

If he continued to hang out with them gangsters and drug dealers he would be a drug dealer and gangster by association. I didn't want his ass killed or in prison. He was the only family member I had left. He didn't understand.

Clearing my thoughts, Iva walked in with a big goofy ass smile.

"Jovan!" She yelled happily and ran over to me.

"Yes ma'am?" I laughed.

"Mini wants you to come to her birthday party on Saturday and you have to come." She jumped up and down.

"I'll be there. Can Byron come?" I held her waist.

"Who's that?"

"My brother. He's on punishment and I don't want him leaving the house." I rolled my eyes at the thought of his stubborn ass.

"Yeah he can come!" She started jumping again. "My baby is gonna have the best birthday. I'm gonna get her gifts and her friends are gonna be there." She realistically fantisized.

"And that's on what?" She asked and I sat there waiting for her to say something. "You supposed to say period." She tilted her head.

"I'm not saying that shit."  I waved her off.

"Please." She continued plead so I just did the hand swipe under my chin and she giggled. This girl cracks me up. She eventually sat down for a moment and scrolled through her phone.

"Can I have a kiss?" I pulled her seat closer to me.

"I don't want to." She pouted and I let her be. The last time we kissed it felt like heaven. It barely lasted over 30 seconds and it was the best seconds of my life. I could tell she didn't want to get attached so I just had to continue to show her that I wasn't going anywhere.

I really wanted a kiss but I told her I wasn't going to force her and I kept my word. I came from the back and watched all the construction workers just sitting. It was making me upset because they already knew they were behind. We had to be on track.

"Why y'all just sitting here like there's nothing to do?" I walked around them and they all stood up.

"We were just taking a break, boss." This short guy tried to make an excuse.

"Melvin,  I don't care. Get ya asses up and work."

"It Martin, boss." This nigga was still here.

"Martin, Melvin, Maleficent. I don't care." I was genuinely in a bad mood. We all lose money if we taking longer than anticipated. I don't play with my money.

I wasn't usually rude to my workers but they knew to not fall behind.  They resumed working and I supervised these grown ass men because they couldn't stay on track.

I was basically on my phone the whole time I until it was time for Iva to clock out.

"Iva, your sister coming to pick you up?" I asked her as she came over to me.

"Yeah, but she's tutoring some students of hers so it'll be a little while." She stood in between my legs.

"Ride with me." I suggested and she was thinking for a moment.

"Okay, just let me text her." She pulled out her phone and texted her. I made sure my workers kept working and didn't stop just because I was leaving. We made it to my Mercedes and everytime she gets in she looks so excited.

"You gotta pick up Mini?" I asked her.

"No, she's with my mom." She click clacked her nails together.

"Aight, you wanna go to your place or mine?" I asked as I reversed out of the parking lot.

"Ooh, I never been to your house. I wanna go there." She did a lil dance with her arms. She was in a giddy mood and that's not 'normal' but I liked it. I drove up to my house she looked amazed at the neighborhood.

"You live here?" She walked inside my house.

"Yeah, ma." I laughed.

"I used to drive over here and wish I could live in this neighborhood."

"Yeah I used to drive around here and when I became a contractor I bought this place. The only thing I wished was they didn't have one ghetto ass school." I set my things down.

"Oh, is your brother upstairs?" She asked.

"Yeah, you wanna meet him?" I raised one eyebrow.

"Yeah!" She jumped up and down.

"Byron, get your ass down here! You in trouble!" I yelled so he'd come downstairs.

"Man, what I do now?" He walked down the stairs until he saw Iva.

"Byron, this my friend, Iva. Iva this Byron." I introduced them.

"Hi, nice to meet you." Iva was being polite and not at hyper.

"Wassup. You know, you look like this teacher at my highschool." He pointed at her as if he was trying to remember.

"Ms. Bullard?" She asked and he nodded. "She's my sister." Small world. Byron went back upstairs and Iva and I chilled for a bit.

She put me onto Queen Sugar and I was hooked from the first episode. Who told Davis to do Charley like that?

Out of nowhere, Iva sat on me and out her head and the crook of my neck.

"I feel safe in your arms." She hugged and me and I hugged her back.

"You'll always feel safe here, okay? I'm not going anywhere." I kissed her head. She leaned up and kissed me. I got butterflies in my damn stomach and a nigga ain't never had butterflies for anyone. Her kisses felt like absolute bliss.

"Can you drop me home?" She asked me and I did just that. I never wanted to be around someone 24/7. I want to be with Iva every moment of every day.