23.) I have...Lost

Start from the beginning

"Are you scared?" She questioned then looked at me with teary eyes. I take in a deep breath and cleared my sinuses, then wiped the tears that were on my cheeks. "Yes...Are you?" I answered. She lets out a sigh and nodded, I looked down at my hand to see the stab wound I have on it and I looked back at her. "But, we are going to get through this. I will not let them get away with this." I added as I took off my jacket and ripped off one of the sleeves of my long sleeve shirt. "Cal, if we don't make it-" "I'm gonna stop you right there. We will make it." I emphasized, I wrapped the sleeve tightly around my hand to stop the bleeding and she handed me her gun.

"You were always better with guns than I was." She pointed out. "And you were always better with knives than I was." I pointed out as well, she sighed and I took the gun.

"Come on, we have to keep moving." I said to her, she nodded standing up with me and we walked deeper into the hideout spot.

I maintained the gun up in position in case we were to be attacked again and we walked into a dim lit room.

As we walked into the middle of the room, some members of Abnegation came out their hiding spots.

"Where's my father?" She asked them with worried eyes. "Beatrice?" Her own father responded. We both turn to look as I point my gun down and she ran towards him, embracing him tightly.

I looked around at the people who seemed to be terrified of the current events, I couldn't blame them. I walked away from the group to take a moment and take in a breath as I feel this knot in my chest tightened.

I knew I had to be brave in this moment, but I was so...scared.

"Cal?" I hear Tris say, I looked up from the ground and she stood in front of me. "What are we going to do?" She questioned. She was just as lost as I was. I took in a deep breath then blinked and I looked at her. "We're going to move forward." I answered, she looked at me confused by what I meant. "You should go and take the train out of here with your family. Become invisible." I explained looking to the gun in my hand and I let out a sigh. "You're not coming?" She asked, I shook my head and looked into her eyes.

"I couldn't save Will..." I trailed off seeing images of him in my head and I mentally shook them off. "So, I'm going to look for my mother. See if I can wake everyone up from the simulation." I added, Tris' brows furrowed and she shook her head. "You're not going alone, Cal." She pointed out. "Tris, you need to-" "No. I am not going to lose you. I want to help." She interrupted me. "It'll be dangerous." I pointed out.

"I know." She said barely above a whisper.

"We'll help." I hear another voice say.

I looked to my side to see Tris' father and brother standing there, then Marcus appeared from behind him. I let out a sigh then looked to Tris who looked like she would not change her mind.

"All right. Here's the plan." I began.

~~~

"Get ready to jump!" I yelled over the loud train and wind, the men nodded and I glanced to Tris who gave me a reassuring nod. "Lets go!" I said then ran out the train to make a leap to the roof of the building, I made sure to tuck my shoulder and roll out then I stood up unbothered by the scratches on me since I could not be distracted during this mission.

"I did not miss that." Tris muttered walking behind me as I jogged to the edge. "Me neither." I said climbing up the edge and glanced at the men behind me as they dusted themselves off and limped towards me. "There's a net at the bottom, don't think..." Tris said to them. "Just jump." I finished for her and threw myself off the ledge.

That feeling of euphoria I had when I first jumped down here...it was gone. All I could think about now was saving my friends, the family I chose.

I bounced up from the net and tried to catch my breath. I rolled to my side jumping off then I see Tris jump down, and I make sure to keep my gun up in case off attack.

After everyone got down, I take lead and make them follow me deeper into the Dauntless area.

The sound of voices makes me pause and I quickly lean my back to the wall, the rest of the group do the same and I listed closely to the soldiers. I looked at Tris who nodded and we both run up to the person talking then we noticed it was Peter.

"Against the wall!" Tris ordered to him.

He noticed us and slowly put his gun down.

"Can't say I'm surprised to see your ass awake." I pointed out, he chuckled and I gestured to him to keep his hands up. "Well, I am smarter than all of you. That's why they needed me." He said in a cocky tone, I take a step towards him and stared him down. "The controlling system, where is it?" I questioned, he smirked and stared back at me. "You know...You're not the least bit intimidating. I'm not telling you shit." He sassed, I rolled my eyes and pistol whipped his face with my gun then roughly pushed his face against the wall.

"Cal!" Tris said and I hear the rest of the group come to watch what was happening.

"I have lost...Everything." I said to Peter as he struggled against the wall. "I lost my best friend, my only family. You can toughen it out for a few seconds, but if it comes to it, I will not hesitate to shoot you." I threatened and hear him swallowed. "Y-You won't." He gritted through his teeth.

Before he could say anything smart, I shoot his bicep and he screamed in pain as he fell to the ground. I let out a sigh and lower myself eye level to Peter, he looked at me with blood dripping down his nose and I stared into his eyes.

"Take me there and I'll consider keeping you alive." I said with a small smile, he takes in a breath then glanced at Tris and back at me.

"Fine."