030

"ɪ ᴛʜɪɴᴋ ᴏғ ᴍʏsᴇʟғ ᴀs ᴀɴ ɪɴᴛᴇʟʟɪɢᴇɴᴛ, sᴇɴsɪᴛɪᴠᴇ ʜᴜᴍᴀɴ ʙᴇɪɴɢ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴛʜᴇ sᴏᴜʟ ᴏғ ᴀ ᴄʟᴏᴡɴ ᴡʜɪᴄʜ ᴀʟᴡᴀʏs ғᴏʀᴄᴇs ᴍᴇ ᴛᴏ ʙʟᴏᴡ ɪᴛ ᴀᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏsᴛ ɪᴍᴘᴏʀᴛᴀɴᴛ ᴍᴏᴍᴇɴᴛs."
― Jim Morrison

Mutations leaped out from the trees and snarled viscously at the two of us

Mutations leaped out from the trees and snarled viscously at the two of us. "Clove-"

"Run!" Without looking back, I took off as fast as my legs could take me, hearing Clove running beside me. "To the Cornucopia, we can get high ground there." Clove shouted through deep breaths. My breathing was getting ragged, and my legs were beginning to burn at the extreme workout I was having to do. My mind was racing with thoughts, horrible thoughts of being ripped apart by those deadly teeth.

Many more mutts had joined in on hunting us and I could feel my nerves explode. The view of the giant cornucopia came into view and I pushed myself to run faster, never seeing myself reach this speed in my whole life. Crazy what things you can do when you're on the verge of death. "You go first, I'll help you up." A branch slammed into my arm causing me to feel a sharp pain from the branches slicing through my skin and I was finally out in the open. I looked back to see one mutt still following us and the rest slowing down. The eyes were familiar, Cato's dull, green eyes glared venom into mine and I immediately looked away feeling shivers down my spine. The thought of my friends being turned into mutts made me want to cry out. They were used for the games, for people entertainment and now they were being used to kill us. The people in the capitol were sick and if I ever got out of here, I would promise myself to take them down, even if that meant taking myself down with them. For Rue, for Dawn and Kreed, for Clove, for my family and for the other tributes. To anyone out there that lost a loved one for the cruel intentions would get their revenge, and I wouldn't stop until that happened.

I reached the Cornucopia, slamming into it with how hard I had been running. I instantly attempted to try and get up and I nearly couldn't if Clove hadn't of helped me. I turned around to return the help only to see Clove stood away from where I was. "Clove? What are you doing?" I called out to the girl. She stood tall as she faced the mutt that was making its way towards her. "Are you stupid, get over here!" I demanded. She turned to look at me from over her shoulder, a small smile on her face.

"I love you, tell my family I love them too." My heart dropped; this girl was about to throw away her life for mine.

"Stop! Stop it! Come here, Clove!" The desperation in my voice was easily noticeable as I begged for the girl to climb the Cornucopia. "Please, Clove. I don't want to lose you too." By this point tears had started streaming down my face and I no longer attempted to hold back the sobs.

The mutts was getting closer, and I knew this would all be over soon. I looked over to my left and my eyes caught the shiny bow that was left lying on the roof of the cornucopia with only an arrow with it. I ran over to the bow and as I raised it up the mutt had reached Clove. It leaped on top of her and they both fell to the ground with a loud thud. Howling's could be heard from the other mutts as they waited for the announcement of the winner.

I drew the string back and sucked in a breath. One arrow. One chance. One shot. This shot could either make or break my future. Elbow up. Remember, elbow up. Dawn's voice whispered words of wisdom in my ear, and I let the arrow fly.