007

𝕿𝖗𝖆𝖎𝖓𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖂𝖆𝖗

'ɪғ ʏᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ɪɴ ᴀ ᴡᴀʀ, ɪɴsᴛᴇᴀᴅ ᴏғ ᴛʜʀᴏᴡɪɴɢ ᴀ ʜᴀɴᴅ ɢʀᴇɴᴀᴅᴇ ᴀᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇɴᴇᴍʏ, ᴛʜʀᴏᴡ ᴏɴᴇ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ sᴍᴀʟʟ ᴘᴜᴍᴘᴋɪɴs. ᴍᴀʏʙᴇ ɪᴛ'ʟʟ ᴍᴀᴋᴇ ᴇᴠᴇʀʏᴏɴᴇ ᴛʜɪɴᴋ ʜᴏᴡ sᴛᴜᴘɪᴅ ᴡᴀʀ ɪs, ᴀɴᴅ ᴡʜɪʟᴇ ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜɪɴᴋɪɴɢ, ʏᴏᴜ ᴄᴀɴ ᴛʜʀᴏᴡ ᴀ ʀᴇᴀʟ ɢʀᴇɴᴀᴅᴇ ᴀᴛ ᴛʜᴇᴍ'
-Jack Handy

 ᴍᴀʏʙᴇ ɪᴛ'ʟʟ ᴍᴀᴋᴇ ᴇᴠᴇʀʏᴏɴᴇ ᴛʜɪɴᴋ ʜᴏᴡ sᴛᴜᴘɪᴅ ᴡᴀʀ ɪs, ᴀɴᴅ ᴡʜɪʟᴇ ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜɪɴᴋɪɴɢ, ʏᴏᴜ ᴄᴀɴ ᴛʜʀᴏᴡ ᴀ ʀᴇᴀʟ ɢʀᴇɴᴀᴅᴇ ᴀᴛ ᴛʜᴇᴍ'-Jack Handy

"What are your skills?" I stood in front of the full-length mirror grimacing at the skin-tight jumpsuit I was put in.

"Well, I can use an axe, and I can tell which berries are good and bad."

"It's not much but it will do. Don't show them what your good at, keep that for the real thing. If you expose to much of yourself then they will use that to their advantage. Try other weapons out, get good with them and remember to focus heavily on the survival skills. You will die quicker with more knowledge on weapons than survival. Also be observant, study what everyone else does, it can help you big time for the real deal."

~

"In two weeks, 26 of you will be dead, 1 of you will be alive. Who that is depends on how well you pay attention over the next 4 days." All tributes stood in a semicircle and directly across from me was the Careers. Their attention wasn't on the lady giving us key information, instead, there gaze was burning holes into me as they never looked away. I awkwardly looked around at the room and my eyes landed on the axe that was dead center of the case of weapons. It was shiny and certainly sharp. It wasn't anything like we had back home, it was so much better. I thought about what I should practice using and I concluded that the best things I need to learn are something that I can use from a distance, preferably a bow. I would also need the skills for climbing and starting a fire so I can cook food. "No fighting with other tributes. You'll have plenty of time for that in the arena. There are four compulsory exercises, the rest will be individual training. My advice is, don't ignore the survival skills. Everybody wants to grab a sword, but most of you will die from natural causes." By the smirk on the boy from District 2's face, I could tell his preferred weapon was a sword. He had a cocky smile on his face that gave away everything.

Everyone was at their stations and I was taking a mental note of everyone's skills, more importantly, the Careers. It was obvious to tell who the weaker duo was and it was obvious to tell who would die first out of the four. Everyone else had a skill they were good at, yet here she was, missing just about every shot with a bow.

My assumptions were correct as I caught sight of District 2's brute aggressively swinging his sword in the air. One swing and he could easily kill someone, and it wouldn't be pretty. I strained myself from walking over to the weapon I was most comfortable using and instead went to the second unoccupied bow. A trainer walked over to me and guided me on how to use it. My first shot was off by quite a distance and that earned a chuckle from the blonde girl beside me. "You know we're going to kill you first, right? You think you can waltz in here like your better than everyone all because this is District 14's first year? Well, guess what, you're going to be on the other end of my arrow." She pulled her arrow back and let it fly through the air. I attempted to hold my laughter back as the arrow went completely past the target and hit the wall behind it. She stormed off in anger and I went back to practicing.

Eventually, I was able to hit the target, but it wouldn't be enough to do much damage. "Try aiming up a bit higher." I was startled at the abrupt voice and I was met with the girl from District 13. I did what she said, and I was able to hit relatively close to a vital area. I turned around to thank the girl, but she was gone. By the time I could find her, she had already made it to the other side of the room. So I went back to training.

I was stood behind two boys as they attempted to make a fire out of the sticks and leaves. I took note of what burned more smoke and what ones burnt quicker. It was small detail like this that would come in handy. "Six, where's my knife?" On my left, the blonde from two had stormed up to a much shorter Tribute who immediately stood up to defend himself. He has guts. Everyone was looking up and I was surprised to see a young girl laying across the netting holding, who I am guessing, 2's knife.

I could use some help from her