021

~Trigger Warning~

suicide

𝕬 𝕲𝖚𝖎𝖉𝖊 𝕿𝖔 𝕲𝖎𝖛𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖀𝖕

"ᴛʜᴇ sᴀᴅᴅᴇsᴛ ᴀsᴘᴇᴄᴛ ᴏғ ʟɪғᴇ ʀɪɢʜᴛ ɴᴏᴡ ɪs ᴛʜᴀᴛ sᴄɪᴇɴᴄᴇ ɢᴀᴛʜᴇʀs ᴋɴᴏᴡʟᴇᴅɢᴇ ғᴀsᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜᴀɴ sᴏᴄɪᴇᴛʏ ɢᴀᴛʜᴇʀs ᴡɪsᴅᴏᴍ."

- Isaac Asimov

"Go." The first time I had ever heard Kreed speak and that had to be while he was saying goodbye to his lover. Two deaths in the span of 24 hours and I was not coping well, I could hardly imagine what he was going through. The two people that helped me the most were the ones that got their lives ripped away from them. They didn't deserve this, but they were also happier. I knew that. Anywhere faraway from this place was better without a doubt. "I said go."

The boy in front of me sat with the girl he loved cradled in his arms. His emotions showing like never before. He was in pain.

"I'm sorry, Kreed." He nodded his head and I saw a tear roll down his cheek.

"I'm going to be with her now. Thanks Marlowe." I was confused, at least until he pulled out the berries. He shoved the berries in his mouth, and I instantly turned around. The canon went off and I knew that was it. I was officially alone, and it was all my fault. I could have prevented Rue's death had I not been so clumsy, and I could have convinced Dawn to stay away from the feast. Three bodies lay behind me, so that meant there was 5 people left, 3 of which were Tributes. I walked away from the cornucopia, there was no where I could really go anymore. I felt lost, not physically, but mentally.

I slouched down against a tree and let my head fall between my arms, it was all I could do with the amount of energy I had left. I wanted to scream out, scream as loud as I possibly could. Let everyone know where I was so they could come kill me, at least then I could be with my friends. But I knew that if I did that I would disappoint Rue, she wanted me to win this, for Mateo. How much I could use a hug from my baby brother. That would be the only thing to cheer me up.

~

I was there for what felt like hours and I didn't bother lifting my head when I heard the crunches of the leaves. "Surprised to see you're alive." Hopefully, she'll get it over with. "How would you like to die. I could either slit your throat, stab you in the chest and twist the knife around a little. I could break every bone in your body, one at a time of course. Or I could even- Are you." She paused. "Are you okay?" I looked up. My tear-stained face couldn't be missed. I shook my head; I didn't trust my voice enough. "I don't really care." She rushed towards me and held the knife up towards my neck. "Any final words or actions?" A hint of a smile was on her lips, she was enjoying my pain. "Anything?" I shook my head again. "Okay then." She pressed the knife closer, but then stopped. There was a look on her face, she was hesitant. "I- Do you make an alliance?" Suddenly her knife was tucked away in the belt that had plenty more knives waiting to be used. Out of all the things I was waiting to hear that was the most unexpected thing I could ever imagine.

"Not with the Careers." I could never do that to Rue. An alliance with the Careers would get me nowhere but closer to my death.

"I was planning on killing them anyways." I was confused. On one side I wanted to forget her offer and just have her kill me but on the other side I wanted to join her and live as long as possible, make Rue proud. "Think any longer and I'll just kill you now." I decided against all odds and went with what I felt right.

"I'll do it." I swallowed the lump in my throat. "I'll team up with you." With that she held her hand out to me allowing me to grab it. Her hands were rough, covered in small cuts from the blades.

"We need to get food, since our supplies mysteriously blew up. I have nothing left. Cato and Glimmer can't hunt to save their lives, literally. So, if I don't get to them then hunger will." She led the way and I sluggishly followed behind her. "Do you perhaps know what happened to the supplies?"

"District 13 blew them up. Me and District 11 caused a diversion that didn't work to well." I wanted it to end their, but it seemed that she struggled with taking hints as she continues to push. "I got caught in a trap, Rue tried to save me then District 1 killed Rue to which Dawn killed District 1. Then Thresh killed Dawn and so Kreed killed Thresh and then Kreed killed himself, so now we're here, happy?" My body was starting to shut down emotionally. The only feelings I felt was anger and sadness, not even the thought of Mateo could help me. I was ruined.