009

𝕽𝖊𝖘𝖕𝖊𝖈𝖙 𝕬𝖑𝖑 𝕿𝖗𝖚𝖘𝖙 𝕱𝖊𝖜

'ʟɪᴇs ʜᴜʀᴛ ᴘᴇᴏᴘʟᴇ; ɪᴍᴀɢɪɴᴀᴛɪᴏɴ ᴍᴀᴋᴇs ʟɪғᴇ ᴍᴏʀᴇ ғᴜɴ'
-Dean Koontz

The high pitch voice was easily recognizable and now everything made slight sense

The high pitch voice was easily recognizable and now everything made slight sense. My parents fighting the day of the reaping, my Mother acting suspicious when we were sent away. Something was going on at home that meant me being sent here in order to save my family, but the only thing I didn't understand was why. What were they going to do to my family if I wasn't bargained away?

I shoved open the door and the talking stopped. "Is everything alright?" It was best for me to keep hidden what was known. This way I could give them false information and let them think they have the upper hand on me.

"Everything's fine, dear. Tell us, what did you work on?" Gwen went back to her usual whereas Anika had a look of guilt on her face.

"I worked on my survival skills. I'm really tired though so I think I'll just go to bed. If you don't mind?" I was dismissed by a short nod and I went straight to my bed. I rid myself of the uncomfortable clothes and allowed my skin to have some freedom from the tight fitted outfit. The technology looked far to advance for anything I had seen. The window was almost like a TV. I was able to flip through different sceneries until I came across a forest. My gut was telling me that this was important to me.

Once I knew that everyone was in bed I got up and made my way towards the roof. As I opened the door my eyes caught sight of a figure sitting on the edge. They turned around to reveal the girl from District 2. "You must be obsessed with me." I wasn't even able to get a word out before she made a comment. I hesitantly stepped outside. "That wasn't your invitation to join me."

"But it says on the sign that the roof is for all Districts." It was true. There was many signs leading towards the roof that said there was access for anyone of any District. It was the only place we could go outside of our rooms, the only place to feel free.

"You barely count as a District. Every other District has been in the Games since the beginning. Now District 14 stops being a coward and they think their better than everyone else." I wasn't sure why she was talking to me like I had special privilege's, especially since she comes from a wealthy District that trains people.

"It's not my fault we weren't put in." I didn't have the heart to make a rude comment towards the already angered the girl. I also didn't feel like getting killed before I even got a chance at the Games.

"Okay and? Us Careers want to take our anger out on District 14 and the only way we can do that is when you are on the other end of my knife, and I promise you that I'll be the one to kill you." She seethed with anger as she spoke, her words coming out aggressively. She stepped closer to me until the point where she was stood directly in front of me. I felt nervous, not in the way that I was scared though. I felt butterflies in my stomach that disappeared once she walked passed me, leaving me alone on the roof.

Is this how they would have treated Mateo if he was here?