026

𝔐𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯𝔦𝔢𝔰 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔩𝔬𝔫𝔤 𝔱𝔞𝔩𝔨𝔰

"ɪғ ʏᴏᴜ ʟᴏᴏᴋ ᴀᴛ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ɪɴ ʟɪғᴇ, ʏᴏᴜ'ʟʟ ᴀʟᴡᴀʏs ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴍᴏʀᴇ. ɪғ ʏᴏᴜ ʟᴏᴏᴋ ᴀᴛ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ɪɴ ʟɪғᴇ, ʏᴏᴜ'ʟʟ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴇɴᴏᴜɢʜ."

-Oprah Winfrey

Finding the red head girl from District 5 wasn't as difficult as I expected, but I guess it is hard to miss the striking red heist that belonged to the body lying on the ground. As soon as we noticed her the canon went off, startling me in the process. "We'll take her stuff and run. The others could be anywhere." Clove gathered the things necessary from the dead girl's pack before leading me away from the area. "We should probably set up a trap or something. Glimmer would be too stupid to notice it."

I assisted her in gathering the materials needed for the trap that she remembered seeing the boy from District 1 make also known as the one that I got trapped in. The one that killed Rue. I realized now how selfish I had been. Ever since the passing of my allies I had barely spent my time thinking about them. Instead, I had been too caught up in my love life that would only last a few more days from now, if not that. I hadn't even thought much about Mateo. I had completely lost the person I used to be.

"Do you think Mother will like it?" I observed as he weaved the flowers together to make a flower crown. He commanded that I go and fetch him different types of flowers so there was a large variety of them.

"Of course, she will. It looks lovely." He was gentle with the weaving, being careful as to not ruin the flowers and pull out the petals. At the start it looked like a mess, but as time went on it started to appear as to what he had said it was.

"A beautiful flower crown for our beautiful Mother."

"What are you thinking about?" I snapped out of my thoughts as Clove sat down beside me.

"My brother."

"Tell me about him?" I couldn't help the flutter I felt at the thought of Clove meeting my family. Would they accept her? I knew Mateo would, he was a kind young boy and never cared for other indifferences.

"Mateo. He's one of a kind that one. An innocent boy in such a cruel world. I love him with everything I have." I fiddled with the token I had brought into the arena with me. The bracelet Mateo created for me and I couldn't be any thankful that I chose to bring this with me. "He would never last in here. Not because he couldn't fight, but because he wouldn't have the heart to. I know the difference between wanting to survive and wanting to have a good heart. He would never forgive himself if he lay his hands on someone."

"He sounds like a good kid." I nodded my head at her statement.

"That's why I felt the need to protect Rue so much. Not only is she too young to be put in the sort of situation but she's got the innocent that radiates the same energy as Mateo. When she died, so did a part of me. I will never be able to let it go, that she died on my watch." Tears threatened to fall as my breathing began to grow heavier. Clove noticed my sad expression as she wrapped her arm around my body and pulled me in close.

"I promise I will get you home. You'll be able to see Mateo in no time." She placed a gentle kiss on the side of my head before resting her chin on the top of my head.

"You've gone soft." She chuckled at my response.

"I can just imagine Enobaria screaming at us. I'm supposed to play this stone-cold killer that wants nothing more than to win and bring joy to her District, but you've changed my outlook on things. You make me a better person." A smile rose on my face as lightly bit my lip.

"That's good to hear."

~

We sat in silence, listening out to any sudden movements. The sun was beginning to set, and I had feeling that the end was coming near. The Game makers were certain to get bored soon with no conflict happening and I was surprised they hadn't already sent out a mutant or one of their special weapons to kill one of us. After all, we weren't supposed to be together. I jolt up at the abrupt sounds and the loud feminine scream that can be heard. Clove shoots up as I register who it was. Glimmer had been caught in the trap.