Chapter 22

It was a new day in the ETF office and everybody was present in the conference room, indulged and engrossed in the work they had for the day. Riya wasn't present in the office but she had told her friends about the exchange she had had, with the new chief. And they had all found logic in his words.

Jab bhi life hume apne comfort zone se bahar nikalti hai, hume naye zone mei adjust karne mei time lagta hai. So its okay. I just hope ki aap log mere saath adjust karne ki koshish karoge. I am not that difficult you see."

After this exchange they had decided that although it would be difficult for them to work under their new chief, with Rathod still in the team, and with differences between both of them, they would try and work things out. After all they knew how effective Ranveer was as a leader, credit to Riya's research skills. The minute they had come to know about RV being their new chief they had sprung into action digging out information of the new entrant and with what they found, they knew for a fact that he commands respect and the higher authorities trust him with almost everything, They ease with which he had solved some most difficult cases, had them raise their eyebrows and look upto him with curiosity. After that was the exchange between Riya and him that had taken place, and that's when they decided to try him. Arjun had seemed to come in terms with the new chief. Although he did not trust him, but his efficiency was something he adored. After all his only reason to stay in ETF was Sikander.

But the atmosphere at the ETF seemed a bit disturbed owing to the glaring sessions going on between the former chief and the new chief. Rathod had been still trying to come in terms with the fact that his position had been taken away and given to someone else. He felt as if it was because of his incapability that he was demoted. This demotion felt like a slap on his face.

'Was I so incapable that I had to be demoted and someone else was given my place? Could I not handle my responsibilities well? Was I not capable enough? Was all the respect I commanded a sham? Did my juniors follow me and respect me just because I am ACP Sameer Rathod? Did they respect me because they feared my position?'

The constant thoughts had disturbed him to no extent. So he decided to take a break from all that and have a coffee. Coffee reminded him of his lady. So he decided to have a coffee, with her. While they were sitting together, Ayesha noticed he was lost somewhere and appeared disturbed. She thought of asking him, but then felt whether he would share his worries with her? Would he confide in her? That's when she remembered the way he had hugged her after the bomb fiasco. They hadn't actually gotten time to talk to each other properly after that incident. So she gathered courage and kept her hand on his hand that was placed on the table. He snapped his head in her direction with a questioning look.

"Kya baat hai Sir. Aap pareshaan lag rahe hai."

"Aisi baat nahi hai Ayesha."

"Aapko sach mei lagta hai aap mujhse sach chupa sakte hai? Agar haa toh bahut galat lagta hai."

"Ayesha main bas apne demotion ke baare mei soch raha tha. Ayesha kya main apni zimmedariyaan acche se nibha nahi paya? Kya main ek accha chief nahi hu? Kya main itna incapable hu?"

"Yeh aap kya keh rahe hai sir? Aisi koi baat nahi hai. Sab log aapki bahut izzat karte hai. Aap incapble nahi ho."

"Kya yeh tum isilye bol rahi ho kyunki main tumhara senior hu?"

"Nahi. Main yeh isiliye keh rahi hu, kyunki maine aapki capabilities dekhi hai. Aap hi bataiye, agar aapme capability nahi hoti, toh kya jab ETF form hui, tab aapko uska chief banaya jaata?"

"Toh agar main capable hu toh meri position kisi aur ko kyu di gayi? Aur woh bhi usse Ranveer ko? I know Ayesha ki tum uske kaafi close ho par mujhe woh bilkul nahi pasand."

"Aap jaante hai, Riya, Shree, aur Chotu bhi RV Sir ko pasnd nahi karte hai. But woh adjust karne ki koshish kar rahe hai. I think ki aapko bhi karni chahiye. You never know, isme humare liye kuch achha ho."

"Kya achha hoga Ayesha? Meri position leli gayi. And I am sure woh Ranveer iska mazzak banayega."

"I don't know ki aapke aur unke beech kya differences hai but main unhe tab se jaanti hu jab main bas kuch mahino ki thi. Woh mere babut close hai. Aur mujhe sabse acche se woh hi jaante hai. Main unhe jitna jaanti hu, haa woh thode mysterious zaroor hai, but woh kabhi bhi kisi ka mazaak nahi banayenge. Specially aap jaise kisi ka."

"Itna yakeen hai tumhe uss par?''

"Khud se zyaada."

Unknown to Ayesha these words had made an impact on Sameer, that shouldn't have been made. He looked into her eyes, and turned his face away. What he saw in her eyes was the last thing he had wanted to see. He saw love and felt it to be for Ranveer. But what he did not know that there was definitely love in her eyes, but for him and not for Ranveer. She definitely did love Ranveer, but the love she and Ranveer shared was a lot more different. He always treated her like a younger sister. Her family had always trusted him with Ayesha because they knew he would never let anything happen to her. There had been a time when she had had a conversation with him about the love brothers have for their younger sisters. And that's when she had felt that she was unlucky to not have an elder brother. What he said then was embedded in her memory for lifetime.

'Agar tumhe kabhi aisa lage ki tumhe ek bade bhai ki zaroorat hai, toh mere baare mei soch lena. Main hamesha tumhare saath rahunga.'

It was since that day that she had taken him as her only brother. Every thing she knew about the world was taught to her by her brother. He is the only brother she has, and that is the only reason he has been so important to her. But this relation that she shared with Ranveer, had been taken on a wrong note by Sameer. And now he had come so far on this road that there was no going back. He had decided in his head that he would never bother Ayesha with his love and let her live a peaceful life with the guy she loved. He had accepted his fate that maybe he was not meant for love. Love would never find his address. He knew for a fact that after Ayesha he would never be able to love someone in the ways he has loved her, and he was fine with it. He was fine with living alone in between the memories he has with his love. He had accepted her with his heart and soul, and had sworn on protecting her, no matter with whoever she was. He would never let his love diminish. He would always stand next to her, no matter what, and even if it meant being just a friend to her, he was ready for it.

She had gotten out the Sameer, he never knew existed in him. He had come in terms with his fate, but little did he know that fate has a lot different plans for him. What he did not know was that love was already knocking at his door. The door, he wasn't paying heed to.