Chapter 6

After enjoying the cake to their fullest all of them sat in the conference room, with one final piece of cake lying in front of them kept neatly in a plate. Riya wanted to keep one last piece remaining for Arjun but was in a dilemma, whether to go and give it to him. After the first encounter with him today she was afraid to go in front of him. She did not want to ruin her day. At least not today. Any other day she wouldn't think twice before going in front of him. But today was something different. As if her guts trying to tell her something which she couldn't understand although she tried hard to. She got up and went towards the window of the conference room from where the entrance of ETF was visible. The sight revisited her to the old days when she first joined ETF as a field officer. Her first case, her bonding with the other members, her near death experience during the Xora-2 case, and her fight back for life. That was when she actually realized the love the entire team holds for her. The worry on their faces throughout the drive till the hospital actually made her realize that she had made her own place in the hearts of the tough cops. And that she had done on her own. She felt proud of herself. For the once she felt she was in the right place. Where she was valued and loved. The way they took care of her when she was on the way of recovery, and the pride on their faces when she received an award for her bravery, everything was worth every effort for her.

She turned behind and looking at the piece of cake she took a deep breath, picked up the plate and walked to the ACP's cabin. Standing outside the door she asked herself one last time whether she really wanted to go inside, and her heart won over her mind. Knocking on the door, she pushed it open only to see him, sitting on his chair head thrown back, and eyes closed. How peaceful his face looked when he was asleep, but when he would wake up, he would turn into a spicy chilli. Her heart despised the idea of invading his sleep, so she turned around to leave when she felt something ring in her ears.

"Agar mere liye kuch laayi ho, toh diye bina hi jaa rahi ho?"

She turned behind only to find him still in the same position and his eyes yet closed.

"Sir, aap jaag rahe hai?"

"Nahi. So raha tha. Par tumhare aane ke ehsaas ne jaga diya."

Saying that he opened his eyes and looked at her with all the emotions he had in his heart.

She was absolutely clueless of what he meant but still her heart mildly smiled and that reflected on her face.

"Birthday par cake offer nahi karte hai Riya. Apne haathon se khilate hai."

She looked at him still clueless, when he pointed towards the cake in her hand, and ping. Her brain worked. She looked at him with wide eyes.

'Kya sir sach mei chahte hai ki main unhe cake khilau? Hey Durga Maa.' She thought to herself.

"Kya soch rahi ho Riya?"

"Nahi kuch nahi."

With that she gathered all her courage and took the piece in her hand, and forwarded it towards him. Coming close to her, he held her hand with his and took a bite of the cake. All this while they kept looking into each others eyes, and their eyes did the talking. Then taking the cake from her hand he made her take a bite and then ate the rest in a go. For once he wanted to let go of his mask of arrogance, for his inner turmoil was eating him up & the only person who held the power to soothe him was the research specialist.