Shawn

Shawn's POV

I slammed the door to my father's study as I stormed out. Who was he to all of a sudden act like he cared about my education? So I skip sometimes, and when I do go I show up late, big fucking deal. He can piss off for all I care.

I needed to get out of this house, so I guess I was going to go to school today. I muttered a string of curses under my breath, making my way back to my room. I barged in, about to slam that door as well, but I stopped when I saw the six-year-old girl sitting on my bed, staring at me with her wide green eyes.

At once, my anger melted. She really was my first and only weakness.

"Are you sad again Shawn?"

I sighed. "No Harper, I'm not sad. Just a little annoyed."

"I don't like it when you don't smile you know," she remarked.

I cracked a smile for her sake. "How's that?"

"Better," she smiled back. "Will you take me to school?"

I looked at the time on my phone, knowing that if I would definitely be late if I agreed to.

I walked over to my sister anyway and kissed her temple. "Of course I'll take you to school Princess."

She made a face. "I'm not a princess, I'm a warrior!"

I laughed. "Of course you are."

"You can be a prince if you want," she said. "And then you'll fall in love with a pretty girl like in the movies and live happily ever after."

I chuckled. "That'll be a miracle Harp."

She grinned at me. "You'll see, you'll find her. And then she can be your princess."

I laughed.

"Yeah," I said softly. "My princess."

***

As I expected, I was late to school. Not that I really cared. I walked into my math class. The teacher noticed me and I smirked slightly. Here we go.

"Mr. Mitchell care to explain your tardiness?" Mr. Howard asked.

I shrugged. "I overslept."

"Mr. Mitchell I'll have you know this behaviour will not be tolerated any longer," Mr. Howard reprimanded.

Tell me something new.

The smirk lingered on my face. "Look it won't happen again."

"You said that last week," Mr. Howard said.

I decided to push his buttons a little more. "Maybe I mean it this time."

A few people laughed and the teacher just sighed.

"Just turn in your homework, and meet me after class."

Homework?

"Oh that...um.." I began. "I think my dog ate it."

"And that's your excuse?" Mr. Howard questioned, arching an eyebrow.

"Well it's all I got now so yeah, it's my excuse," I replied.

I was probably going to land a detention...again.

"Detention Shawn, after school. Still meet me after class though," he said.

I shrugged and sat down. People stared, girls mostly, but I ignored every one of them. Instead, I fixed my eyes on the girl a few feet in front of me. We'd been in the same Math and History classes since freshman year, and since freshman year she had ignored my existence.