3

The highlight of Zain's days is now the time he spends at Harry's place, preparing for their presentation. Or rather studying.

Almost every day Harry will have another idea for their presentation and text Zain an invitation and after they've finished working on whatever Harry's discovered or wants changed, he'll pout until Zain agrees to stay for dinner or to do his homework not at the library but at Harry's kitchen table.

Zain would complain, but he loves Harry's flat, warm and clean, and he loves the snacks and food Harry always has readily available.

He'd also have more self-control and maybe pride if Harry wouldn't look so lovely, pouting at him, his fingertips warm on Zain's wrist. He's always been week for a sweet face and nice legs, and Harry's apparently decided to stop all pretence, wearing a different shirt dress every time he opens the door for Zain, his thighs thick and tan and lovely.

"Hi Zain," he smiles, opening the door and walking away again, so sure that Zain will follow him inside. Zain catches himself staring at his legs again before closing the door behind him and taking off his jacket and shoes.

"I got pastries from the bakery downhill earlier," Harry calls, "do you want some?"

"Sure," Zain calls back, grabbing his backpack and stepping into the kitchen where Harry is already arranging pastries like he had been expecting Zain's answer. Zain's giving up trying to decline food the second time he's come over.

He sets up his laptop, pressing the button to start it before going to the bathroom to wash up a bit. Harry's flat was always so clean and nice-smelling, he feels like he doesn't belong and at least washing his hand and face made him feel better. Even though his clothes still smelled damp and musty. It was impossible to get rid off with the house he lived in.

Zain might be linger in the bathroom for longer than necessary, enjoying the clean lemony smell and the lack of dampness, drying his hands on the warm and fluffy towel that smelt faintly of fresh laundry. It was bliss after his damp bathroom where he could barely turn without hitting something.

He scrubs a hand over his face and forces himself to leave the bathroom before it reaches a truly awkward time, strangely attached to it.

"Zain!" Harry says with a sob, rushing towards Zain as soon as he steps out, grabbing Zain's hands. "I'm so sorry," he says, tears falling down his cheek.

"What?" Zain asks, panicky, struck dumb by the sight of Harry, crying. "What happened?"

"I broke your laptop," Harry sobs, gripping Zain's hands. "I'm so sorry, I'll replace it I promise!" He continues, looking far more upset than Zain's old piece of junk warranted.

"I'm just so glad that you never keep anything on the hardware," Harry blubbers, pulling Zain towards the kitchen. "I just knocked over the water jug, I don't know how, this never happened before, and it went all over your keyboard and the it fizzed and went out. I'm sorry, Zain. I'll replace it!" he repeats, turning to looks at Zain, his cheeks wet with tears.

"It's fine," Zain says, a bit unsure how to proceed. It's not like it was a good laptop and Zain had just been waiting for the day it died and it was upsetting, seeing Harry upset. "Just. I don't know. Give me like £50 for it?" he says, trying to calm Harry down. He'll have to replace it and he's not sure how, but he's figure it out later and use library computers in the meantime. The sight of Harry crying was far more upsetting than losing that old piece of rubbish.

"Zain, no!" Harry says, his sobs cutting off abruptly. "You can have one of mine! I have two," he says, pulling Zain with him towards the light room, his cheeks still wet with tears, all business now.

"Look, I got a silver one and I didn't like it," Harry says, pulling a new-looking MacBook from a drawer. "So I got the rose one. You can have the silver one."

He's completely calm again, offering the laptop to Zain. Zain'd be sure he were being played, Harry's face compel you calm again, his tears drying on his cheek, if this wasn't the weirdest con ever.

"I'm not taking that," Zain says, staring at the laptop. It was small, like the one Harry had, and Zain's sure that it can't be that old, everyone else in their course still used MacBooks than were larger somehow.

"You can have the rose one of you'd rather," Harry offers completely missing the point and looking slightly disappointed. It's sweet that he would give up his preferred colour like that, but Zain's mind is reeling from the fact that Harry apparently thought replacing his piece of shit warranted an almost-new MacBook.

"I'm not taking your laptop," Zain says.

"Oh," Harry says, shoulders sagging. "Of course, we'll get you a new one, sorry," Harry says, pouting slightly, looking upset again. "I thought because it's as good as new you maybe wouldn't mind. Sorry that was stupid." He puts the laptop down, pulling on the skirt of his dress. "I'll just get changed and we can get you a new one."

"Er," Zain says because the fact that it was used definitely wanna the reason. He's not sure where Harry's going to get a new laptop that wouldn't cost and arm and leg, either. "Just give me £50? I'll replace it myself."

"No, Zain!" Harry says, starting to cry again. "I have to replace it! I broke it!"

"Shush," Zain makes a bit uselessly, patting Harry's shoulder. He wants to cup Harry's face and catch the tears. He looks absurdly pretty with his tears clinging to his lashes and his lower lips sticking out in a pout. It's a bit ridiculous that Harry is more upset than Zain himself.

"It's not that bad," Zain says, stroking his hand over Harry's arm. "It was really old already, yea. I'd have to replace it soon anyways."

"But I broke it," Harry sobs, clutching at Zain's hand. "I have to replace it. Please," he squeezes Zain's hand with both of his. "If we hurry we can make it down to Leeds before they close the store. Maybe we can call ahead," he continues, not paying any attention when Zain tries to interject. "Do you want dark grey? Maybe you like that more than silver?"

"Harry, you can't buy me a new laptop," Zain says, staying where he is when Harry tries to pull him towards the door.

"But I have to replace it," Harry says a bit obtuse, pouting.

"I guess," Zain says, darting a glance at the silver one still sitting on the coffee table.

"You'll take that? Oh thank you," Harry says bright again, like Zain isn't getting the good end of the deal here. "I'm so sorry again. I'll order pizza while you set it up," he says, sounding completely normal again, leaning forward to kiss Zain's cheek and then walking away to the kitchen, like he hadn't been sobbing moments ago.

Zain blinks after him, distinctly feeling like he's been played. He's just not sure how because he ended up with a almost new MacBook.

"I ordered Margarita and Four Cheese," Harry says, wandering back into the room. "Why haven't you turned it on, yet?" he adds in a scolding tone. "We still need to work on our presentation and we already lost so much time."

Zain blinks at him and slowly opens the lid, blinking when the screen lights up straight away.

"Sit down, Zain," Harry says, pulling Zain onto the couch and crossing his legs, leaning into Zain's personal space as he peers at the screen. "Oh, look," he says, like Zain can't read for himself. "You need to select a language."

"Yea," Zain says slowly, still feeling like he's been played, trying to work out the keypad. He just can't figure out exactly what Harry's getting from it.

💫

I'm slightly drunk so at least I have an excuse for the typos now 😏