5

When Zain wakes up the next morning, groggy with lack of sleep and left-over alcohol, he has a new message from Harry.

Don't forget to text me where you work and what time you're done xx

He shakes his head, surprised that Harry would remember and follow up, and decides to ignore it for now. He doesn't need Harry to pick him up. Sure, another evening in Harry's flat sounded nicer than going back to his own after an exhausting shift of packing shelves, but he can't take advantage of Harry forever. And Harry's grow bored of whatever he thought he was doing with Zain.

He ignores it for now, taking a quick shower, teeth chattering the whole time because someone has forgotten to close the window the night before and they've run out of credit on the gas again. He eats a quick breakfast, smelling the milk before he does. It's slightly sour but not too bad and watches the trees outside the kitchen window shake in the wind. 

When he checks his phone on the bus, Harry's written again.

Don't forget please ☺️ 

He can't quite bring himself to respond, texting Louis and his mum instead, and gets off the bus to hurry into the shop and forgets about his phone for the first part of his shift. When he checks his phone on his break, Harry's written again.

Zain, you promised🥺

Zain😔🥺

🥺🥺🥺

He can't quite bring himself to ignore it again, not when he can see Harry pouting. 

Sorry, was at work, he answers and sends the address before he can second guess himself.

 He finishes his shift, chatting with Tamal as they get changed and leave through the staff doors. He half expects Harry not to be there, but he is, standing in front of his very new and shiny car, lifting his hand to wave at Zain, jumping slightly.

"Who's that?" Tamal asks.

"I-," Zain says and isn't even sure what to call Harry. "He's a friend?"

"You don't sound too sure about that," Tamal snorts and pats Zain's back. "See you next week."

"See you," Zain nods and crosses the road towards Harry. 

"Hey," he says, stuffing his hands on his pocket.

"Hi," Harry smiles at him. "You have to answer sooner next time, I thought you didn't want to spend time with me." He pouts exactly like Zain knew he would.

"Sorry," Zain says, grimacing in apology. He does feel a bit bad about ignoring Harry when he had just been nice, going out of his way to pick up Zain from work at that. "Thanks for picking me up."

"You're welcome. I ordered food at the Taj, you know, the Indian place, we can pick it up on our way back," Harry says, opening the car door and slipping in, careful to not drag his coat over the outside of the car. He looks so elegant, Zain stares until Harry looks up at him, rising his eyebrow.

"Aren't you coming?"

"Yea, sorry," Zain says, rushing around the car. "Tired." 

"That's ok," Harry says. "You can take a shower at my place if you want and then we can have a relaxing evening."

"That- that sounds great," Zain has to admit. There is no way he can resist the offer of a shower in Harry's perfect and warm bathroom.

Harry sings to himself as he navigates the dark roads, the light reflecting off the wet streets. It feels eery, being inside a warm and quiet car when usually he'd be out there, hunched against the wind and rain.