three | the memorial

☼

chapter three | the memorial
episode three

Neave was staring out the carriage window the following morning in bewilderment to the shrieking coastline behind them. For someone who hadn't travelled much, she was thrilled to have left Kerch. The world had so much to offer than a simple farm to hide within.

Kaz had told her to pack light so all Neave had was the red dress she wore with a few ribbons for her hair and two knives now to her name. So far they had travelled across the sea to get to Ravka with a team of four becoming five.

They eventually came across Novokribirisk that was west of Ravka with the Fold stretching before Neave's eyes, surprising the girl. Never before had she seen it, but she knew the history and had heard numerous tragic tales.

It was a vision of darkness: a never-ending storm that crackled with energy and stretched beyond the eyesight. The Fold was a terrifying sight for Neave and she had to bite down on the inside of her cheek so that no one could see her fear.

"The Fold is no place for you, my rose," Marian had told a curious Neave years ago. "Never go in it."

And here she was, betraying her mother once again.

"I didn't hire you simply to get us across the Fold," Kaz now told the Conductor (a strange man, who Neave didn't trust). They had only brief introductions before Kaz had them moving, not wanting to talk until he was far from the city and likely away from Pekka Rollins causing any more trouble. "You're with us because you smuggled Grisha out of the Little Palace, and that's the location of our target."

Alina Starkov — Neave had put two and two together, realising that she was taking part in a job that involved kidnapping a girl, who was likely Grisha. But what made Alina so special?

"Sun Summoner," Inej said.

Neave's eyes grew so wide as she stared at Inej. "Oh, Saints!"

She was certain her mouth had hit the bottom of the carriage, as well as her hand reaching for the rose in comfort to fall flat to her chest. The Sun Summoner had been nothing more than a myth: a saviour, who could tear down the Fold and free Ravka. Was it possible?

"Alleged," Kaz clarified, not believing it.

"They wouldn't keep a fraud," Inej defended, sounding certain. "In the most secure location in all of Ravka."

At that, Kaz looked at the Conductor again. "You said you have a contact who can get us inside. A Heartrender."

Neave was buzzing to ask the Conductor questions about herself and his smuggling habits, but she had bitten her tongue with knowing that the job came first. If the Conductor was joining them all the way to the Little Palace, then Neave had plenty of time to question him. Neave just needed to be a little more patient.