"I don't have to see you with him to know." Paris gives me a small smile and then heads back into the cafeteria.

I don't follow her.

Now I am on my break and I have decided to walk to the back of the building. I can't find anything to distract myself. All my hatred is like an erupting volcano. If there weren't other students around, I would erupt. Instead, I continue walking towards the back, taking fast steps. My hands ball in and out of fists. I don't know where to go.

Something takes over my mind and I find myself easily climbing a nearby tree. I stop myself and rest on a large branch. My frame fits perfectly, and I lean my back against the tree trunk. I've never climbed a tree before in my life and the realization is slowly kicking in. I don't let it faze me. This magic necklace always surprises me one way or another.

I look out and around. I can see the entire back of the building. Students jogging on the track. Others take in the beautiful sunny day.

On the other side are some of the nearby shops and restaurants. A nearby restaurant called the Fire Grill is filled with people on their outside patio. Each person has a smile on their face, even the servers. I want to smile like them. Be surrounded by people who care... a family who cares. It makes me wish I could have bonded better with my stepmom. Maybe things would have turned out differently had I tried better... At least I tried a little, though, right?

On the other hand, when it was just my biological mother, father and I, we were a cheerful bunch. We were your overly nice, perfect family, perfect neighbors. But that was the problem, we were just too perfect.

I hiss between my teeth, and my fingernails pierce my skin. I flinch and pull my hands out of fists. My nails have grown and are at a perfectly sharp point. Claws. The palm of my hand has four dents on each. I'm lucky I didn't make myself bleed.

I roll out my neck and let the fresh air in. It's soothing, relaxing, and the claws go down and my nails go back to normal. I force them out again, then in, and I do this multiple times. I'm amazed. Too bad I didn't have these when Kris threw himself on me.

I sigh and pull out some of my work. I don't have much, just some reading for English. As I read through section two of our chapter, voices start to come closer to my tree. Go away.

"Thanks." The voice says and footsteps fade back the way they came. The other person steps right under the branch I am sitting on. My tail flicks as it hangs off the side. I don't have to lean over to tell who it is. His scent reaches my nose, and it's all too familiar. "I know you can hear me." He says softly. Hearing Brandon's voice again gives me chills, and I cringe at my body's reaction. "Can you come down?"

I stare at my school book, debating, and bite down on my lip. What exactly is this going to be about? "I'm not really in the mood to talk to you Brandon."

"Please Rei. I'd like to talk to you."

I dampen my lips and put everything back into my bag. As if I have been doing this my entire life, I roll off the tree branch, my hands easily holding my weight as I hold on to the bark. I drop with no fear, and when my feet hit the ground; I land in a crouched position. Brandon is standing right in front of me. I stand up and flick my hair back. "What can I help you with, Terrion?"

"I came here, to-"

"I don't want your apology, Brandon." Hopefully I am making this clear enough. I don't, I don't need an apology. I caught him. He was more worried about banging someone than the friend he invited. I called him out on it. We're even, I guess.

"You're so damn difficult." He says, rubbing his temples. "Fine, I'll get straight to the point." Good, the faster you speak, the quicker I can leave this situation. He grabs my hands into his warm ones, which catches me off guard. I stare at them, perfectly linked, as if they were meant for one another. Then I see the already faded hickey placed on his neck and my body heats up. "Skip classes with me tomorrow."