~Chapter 16: Roulette~

"I-"
I was at a loss for words. I actually fired at someone... I... I tried to kill someone... and in front of my best friend.
Kokichi and I watched in horror as Shuichi dropped his weapon and starting clapping. There... wasn't a bullet inside. As my hands shook, the same face of twisted lust in his eyes. He was a little... to excited as he walked and bent down towards my face.

Do you really think i was gonna kill him? did i get u again? >W< hehe...

-Author~chan

"You we're gonna kill me..! Haah, you were gonna kill me!" He stood back straight up, hugging himself while looking down at us. Kokichi didn't say a word. "Our first fight... a lovers spat! Just like out of a book, where your rash actions makes you realize how much you need me... I told you doing this again sometime would be fun, didn't I?"
"Y-You're insane..!" I shot back, that was really the only thing I could do. I didn't have anything else, my legs weren't working. Kokichis were just fine though, as he went up to Shuichi and hugged him with his eyes squinted shut. This was all so surreal. Not the whole stalker part, but the fact I had Kokichi in my arms again only for him to walk away willingly this time...
Shuichis expression changed immediately, now a genuine and caring smile as he hugged back gently. After they whispered back and forth a bit, Kokichi finally spoke up. "Shumai, why do you have an axe in the first place..?"
Shuichi only chuckled a bit, muttering something again before taking the weapon and rushing out what used to be the door. As soon as he left the room, Kokichi let a heavy sigh before turning back to me. His face full of guilt
"Are you alright, y/n?"
"Y-You... you are?"
He looked away from me, tears forming as he gripped at his skin.
"...He's just bad at expressing himself."
"N-No shit."
This was Kokichi, right? Somehow even skinnier and even more exhausted. Yet, empathetic for a murder That's been keeping him here.
"A-Ah... I stood up to fast..." he chuckled, to which I immediately got up and supported his very little weight despite being unsteady myself. He put a hand on his head, clearly dizzy. I sighed before propping him up a bit more, just holding him. It was so surreal.
"I really missed this." He muttered into my shoulders.
"Me too."
"I'm sorry you got involved..."
"I'm just happy you're alive..." I muttered
"*AHEM*"
Both Kokichi and I looked over, a girl standing in the doorway with pigtails that nearly hit the floor.
"M-Maki~San!" Kokichi looked over at the person standing in the doorway with a shocked look on his face. 'Maki~san' sighed shaking her head.
"I caught wind of the crash that happened, so he destroyed the damned door now..! god, he pisses me off." she kicked the wood on the floor with. "He must have a death wish." The young woman looked back over at the two of us, a bored look on her face with her eyebrows raised. "You're y/n I assume."
"Y-Yeah..."
She looked me up and down, not much emotion showing at all besides a hint of annoyance.
"You and Ouma have really been a pain in the ass for us, you know." She sighed and turned to Kokichi, a small smirk now forming. "So she's here, leave."
"T-That's... not really up to me." He stammered, a nervous chuckle escaping his lips. She however, just looked annoyed. Looking back and fourth between the two, it seemed as though they've spent a lot of time together.
"Uhm, if you want us to leave, how about you help us out and let us?" I snapped, to which she looked me up and down again.
"What is that outfit? It's hideous."
"Shuichi made me wear it."
"Oh. Gross." Maki gagged before going to the door back to the hallway, leaving us along.
"...I'll see what I can do about that." She said over her shoulder before leaving.
With some privacy, I sat Kokichi down on the bed. Just what was Shuichi doing to him before I entered..? If it's what I'm thinking, then I shouldn't bring it up. Instead, I took of my sweater and put it on his body. He already has flannel pj pants on, but it must have been freezing in here without a shirt. I myself felt chilly after removing a layer. With that, I opened my mouth, unexpecting the fact Kokichi and I said the same thing in unison.
"What happened?"
He opened his mouth slightly, surprised as well. I must have been blushing or something as I turned my head away from his direction. "Y-You can go first. Ask me anything..." I stated. In response, he looked down at his hands while quivering.
"I-I'm mad at you... I told you to not let my bullying problems interfere with your personal life and... you were paying them to leave me alone! That was the only thing- the only..." He bit his lip, struggling to get the words out while fighting back tears. "That's the one thing you could do for me, and... you just, you broke it! How do I know you're not even here, an illusion to rub your betrayal in my face. You're were shot, dead like tenko in the corner! there's no way you're actually here cause you care about me... *hic* you aren't real... you can't be... I don't want you here..! You got your hug or whatever, so just... stop tormenting me and rest in peace!"
I was only able to look at him, surprised at his hesitation even though I fired a gun, and help him, and hugged him... and... discover a body-
Nono, ignore the fresh corpse in the corner just focus on Kokichi right now.
I reached for his hand only for him to lean back in terror, I didn't really know how to convince him I was actually here if he ignores the obvious struggle in the room. For whatever reason, saying hes that mad at me hit me like a bigger bus than me being a hallucination. Did he really hate me, or was this... something shuichi planted in his head? It's unfortunate I preferred the latter, but I just wanted my best friend to like me too. There was really... no use worrying about it, I suppose. So instead, I just tried to talk to him without getting close...
"...Can I have my sweater back then?" I muttered.
"H-Huh?" He looked up at me, curled in a ball. I couldn't bring myself to look at him back however, he was just too fragile sounding.
"It's cold in here, so I gave you my sweater. If you really think I'm not here... where did you get it?"
He didn't respond, but instead hid up to his nose in the hoodie while hugging himself. "...It smells like you, y/n..." he muttered. "I know your dead, I heard the shot over the phone... did he get it from your closet?"
"No, instead he held me hostage said were going on a date and made my dress up like the childhood friend at the beginning of a hentai." I rubbed the back of my neck, not really knowing what to do besides my only defence mechanism called humour. "You should see the undergarments of this getup, he's one horny son of a bitch." I noticed a small smile on Kokichis face, contradicting his tears. I can't help but wonder, does he think I'm a hallucination because he's had them before..? I groaned before putting my hands up in defeat. "If you really don't think I'm real... then wear the sweater to bed. If it's still on you in the morning, then I really was the real deal, ok? And I won't be leaving without you either, so when I prove myself don't go thinking I came all this way for nothing idiot..."
He looked at me like a confused puppy, I forgot how cute his expressions were. The thought of retiring to my own cell made my skin crawl, but if it means I can prove to him I'm-
"Ok. I'll believe you. If I still have this sweater then... it means it's real right? So then... you're real..."
I smiled lightly, nodding my head. "I think that's some okay proof, if you were dreaming right now then the door won't be crashed in a couple hours either. So rest well, Fanta." As I went to walk over the corpse that was blocking the door, I felt a small squeeze on my hand. I turned around to see Kokichi giving the smallest grin as he rubbed his thumb against the back of it.
"...Just in case this is a dream, I at least want to... cherish it a little. Goodnight, y/n... please be there in the morning."
"Y-Yeah." He let go and lied down as I had to turn my head, my face was overheating. Once I got out the room and closed the door, I let out a huge breath of air only to be once again cut off by a slight tug of the hand. There stood Shuichi, holding a bouquet of flowers once again.
"That was really beautiful, y/n..."
oh fuck.