Make myself useful

I stand by Gally impatiently waiting for Thomas and Newt to come back with Minho. Gally continues to try and place the explosive to destroy WICKED, but it seems to be taking him longer than it should be.

I anxiously start to walk around the room that is now empty because all the kids are making their way to the buses. So far that part of the plan had gone well. Except for the fact that Minho wasn't among those kids, making this plan a lot more difficult.

"Where are they?" I ask no one in particular. I bit my bottom lip to keep myself preoccupied.

"Just be patient." Gally tells me, not bothering to look at me as he's too focused on his work. "They'll be back soon."

I nod.

"How're you doing?" Gally asks, referring to how I'm doing with the flare. "Feel anything at all?"

"Same as before," I breathe out. "Don't worry about me."

"We've got to hurry." Gally speaks. "This shouldn't be taking this long. The longer we're in here, the more danger we're in."

I try to distract myself for a while by keeping watch at the door for any incoming people. So far, none have bothered to show up.

It's been a few minutes and I can't take it any longer.

"Gally meet me back at the bus with Brenda. I'm going to find the boys." I grab my black mask and gun and begin to make my way out of the room.

"YN wait don't!" Gally tries to stop me, but fails because at the moment he can't move his hands from the security system. "We got to get back to Brenda for the serum."

"I'm fine for now. I'll find the others and meet you there." I run out of the room. "Just wait for us." I call out.

"YN!" Is the last thing I hear Gally say to me as an attempt to stop.

I knew I should've gone with Thomas and Newt. Clearly they could use the help, considering the fact that they're not back with Minho yet. Besides Gally can take care of himself, he'll be just fine. What I have to do is help the others.

I March down long hallways, constantly reading the signs on the walls indicating where each section is. Soon enough I find myself heading directly towards the medical wing. WICKED guards rush past me just as I hear a loud ringing coming from the PA.

"There are outsiders in the building,
I repeat there are outsiders in the building."

Shitttt! One of the boys must've been caught or seen by Janson and his men.

I try my best not to look suspicious and run after the WICKED guards who zoom down the halls. I find myself starting to panic. I've got to get to Newt and Thomas before the guards do.

Along the way, I rapidly make twists and turns trying to get to the medical wing. The guards all rush past me, leaving me deserted. At one point, there are no signs in view and i am completely lost. My breathing begins to accelerate. I have been in way worse situations where I don't seem to panic as much. It must be the virus changing the way I act. First the mood swings, now this.

I lean against the wall of the empty hallway to try and calm myself. I take in deep breaths, and constantly look out for any incoming people.

Come one. Come on. I try to encourage myself. Hold on a little while longer.

Just as I've seen to have collected myself, the floor above me starts to rumble. I pause for a second, then slowly walk further down the empty hall. I start to hear explosions and gunshots now, a lot more constant. Thomas and Newt. WICKED wouldn't just shoot each other in their own building. I need to hurry.

I start to pick up my pace, now almost at a full sprint down the hallway. At the end of it I reach a stairway. On the wall there's a sign that points to the floor above reading:

Medical wing

Just what I needed. I make my way up the stairs two at a time, trying my best to make it to my friends. The bullet sounds are much louder now, meaning that I'm getting close to the chaos.

Oh if Newt knew I was here right now. I mentally chuckle which seems a bit inappropriate considering the situation.

Doctors rush out of labs, all dressed in their white lab coats. All of them ducking in precaution to the shooting sounds. A few of them let out screams as they run for their lives.

I turn to the direction of the sound and I finally come in view at two WICKED guards who seem to be trying to shoot at someone else down the hall. Neither of the two wear a maroon suit like Newt's so I point my gun at them.

Do it YN.
Pull the trigger.
These people put you in a maze.
They tortured your friends.
They took you away from your family.
They kidnapped Minho.
So then why don't you pull the trigger?
What's stopping you from shooting those horrible people?

Nothing.

So with that, I raise my gun further up to my eye and I pull the trigger. Loud gunshots echo as they hit the ground. The man I shot at falls to the ground. I don't even feel a bang of guilt inside me at all, which never happens to me. I feel nothing. No guilt, or sadness, or regret for the man's live I just took.

The guy beside him turns towards my direction to find the person responsible for shooting his fellow worker. I can feel his eyes digging onto my figure through the black mask.

Oh shit.

The guard starts to aim at both myself, and the other person they're shooting at that stands around the corner, hidden from my view. His aim is terrible as he tries to fight off two people.

I'm about to shoot this man as well, when my left arm is grabbed harshly.

"Hey! Let go of me!" I desperately yell as I keep my eyes on the guard ahead, who's still trying to shoot me. Still trying to shoot it with only one hand, I miss as the person holding onto me, drags me into one of the medical rooms. "What the hell?" I shout. "Who the shuck are y-" I stop talking as my eyes find the person who saved me.

It's Quintin.

"Hey YN," he says a little rushed as he tries to barricade the door from the WICKED guards.

"Quintin? But.. how did you know it was me?" I pull of my black mask, to reveal my face to him.

"Your Bracelet." Quintin points at the black bracelet sticking out between the wrists of my suit and gloves.

"Oh." Is all I can say. I reach down to the black bracelet and shove it under my sleeve to avoid suspicion from anyone else. "What are you doing?" I ask.

"Saving you! What else?" Quintin comes closer to me as he explains. "I haven't seen you in months. I thought you were gone. I thought-." He stops, giving me a sad look.

"You thought what?" I knit my eyebrows as I look at the brunette boy in front of me, not really understanding what he means.

*****