Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Penelope soon found the source of the voice. Sitting at her dining table was a man dressed in black armor embellished with gold. He had dark hair to match and green eyes that seemed to shine like bright lights as he looked at the oldest Blythe girl. He was handsome, to be blunt, but Penelope hated that she could find no flaws on his person. She preferred the comfort that Petre's humble looks gave.

“And who are you?” Penelope asked, gripping Petre's hand tightly in her hand. Just from his tone of voice, she knew she did not like this intruder. Her parents were standing off to the side of the table holding each other with worried expressions. A glance up would show Penelope her four sisters on the loft, Rose holding little George in her tiny arms.

“I am Cynric Raji, crown prince of Krajina. You may bow before me now.”

His arrogance immediately irritated Penelope, but she performed a low curtsy nonetheless. You did not simply bite the hand that fed you. “My apologies, Your Highness,” Penelope spoke after straightening and regaining the hold of Petre's hand. “Whatever may I do for you?”

“Well first, my dear Penelope Blythe,” Petre's grip tightened and his jaw clenched as the prince stood up from the table. “You may marry me.”

The room became gravely silent as everyone froze. Little Juliet let out a loud gasp. “Pardon?” Petre was the first to come out of his state of shock. “She is already betrothed to me, Your Highness.”

“Oh, I am well aware. I am sure she knows who is the better choice, however.”

Penelope's eye twitched. “I beg your pardon, Sire, but I choose Petre.” The prince turned towards her with a frown that made Penelope uneasy. “H-he is my love.”

“But can he provide for you?”

“Yes, he-”

“Will he protect you?”

“Of course, he would nev-”

“Can he keep your family safe and happy for the rest of your lives?”

Penelope's answer faltered. “Y-yes. Of course.” She gazed worriedly at Petre. He grasped her hand tightly and gave a sharp nod of his head.

“I will do all in my power to give her a long and happy life, along with her family.” Petre spoke with confidence.

The prince's boots made a clinking noise with each step he took closer to the couple. His words came out slowly and deliberately. “If Penelope were to come with me however, I could dress her in the finest clothes. If she married me, I would provide protection for her family and make sure they were to always have food and clothes on their backs. If Penelope were to come with me,” The prince stopped in front of the two and broke their hold apart. He wrapped his arm around Penelope's waist and pulled her to him. “She would find a much better life than the one with you.”

Petre growled and was about to lunge at the prince, but one of the guards for the prince stopped him and held him back. “She would never be happy with you! Release her, you fiend!” He shouted.

Penelope herself struggled to get out of the prince's grasp, but his arm tightened, causing his armor to dig into her side. She bit her lip to stop herself from crying out in pain. “P-please, sire. I love him.”

Cynric Raji looked down at the blonde girl struggling in his arms. The rumors had all been true; she was the most beautiful girl he had ever laid eyes on. In a soft tone, he spoke only to her. “Come with me.” Her betrothed still struggled against his captors, but it became back round noise to the prince.

Penelope shook her head vigorously. “No, prince, I chose another man long before you.” She had to turn away from his penetrating green gaze.

“Do you want to keep yours sisters safe? They are all lovely girls and make easy prey.” Her eyes found his again and they narrowed. She opened her mouth to respond, but he cut her off. “It is no threat, milady. I can promise you that no harm will ever befall your family if you choose to come with me. I can protect them.”

Penelope's eyes watered as she glanced up at her worried sisters. All of them looked as if they wanted to run down and save their dear older sister, but they held back. Mama and papa must have asked them to stay safe, Penelope decided.

With an almost defeated expression, Penelope turned back to the black prince. “I will come with you, but you must keep Petre and his family safe as well.”

No!” Petre screamed as he tried to fight off the guards with even more vigor than before. “Penny, no! Do not do this!”

Cynric smiled triumphantly. “I shall do whatever you ask of me, milady.” He told her before he picked her up in his arms.

“Put me down!” Penelope instinctively tried to fight him, but he kept his hold. She turned to Petre as they walked past him and reached out, trying to grab his hand, but both their captors made it impossible to do so. “Petre! Petre, I love you!” She cried out to him as was carried out of the Blythe house.

“Penelope, I shall come for you! I promise!” Petre shouted in reply before Penelope was tossed into the carriage with the prince.

The tears that she had tried so hard to keep from falling began to cascade down her face and she bit back the loud sob that racked her body. Was it honorable that she sold herself to this devil in order to keep her family well taken care of? Yes, she would have to think of it as that way or she would not be able to go through with it.

“Are you alright?” That hated voice finally spoke as the the carriage began moving.

Penelope fixed a heated glare at the armored man. “What do you think, Your Majesty? You just stole me away from those I loved most – without a single farewell!”

Cynric looked alarmed for a moment before hurriedly replying, “You came willingly though, milady.”

“Only to keep my loved ones safe.” She murmured before turning away from him and looking out the window. Geringklein became more and more small as they travelled further away.

“Penelope, I shall come for you! I promise!” Petre's word played over and over in her mind. She wished she could hold onto them, keep that hope, but she knew deep down that she would stay with the prince for her family.