Chapter Forty-One

Start from the beginning

Finally, I grab my chart, giving him one last look before leaving down the hall and out of the ER. The moment I turn the corner, I collide with Cristina, almost dropping my chart but she holds her hand out to stop it from falling.

"Oh, sorry," I mumble, far away from my own head as I try to catch up with what's going on. A grin starts to spread across Cristina's face which is an unusual sight to see so I frown in confusion. "What's going o-"

"You just came from the ER right? God, can you believe it?" She asks me, genuine astonishment written all over her face but I don't understand where it's coming from.

"Believe what?" I ask her which makes her frown as if my question offended her.

"You're kidding me right?" She asks in disbelief but I just shrug, waiting for her to expand. "Harper Avery is here!"

"What?!" I exclaim, realizing I may have been too loud so I'm quick to bring down my volume. "As in the Harper Avery Award?"

"Yes! Did you see him? Did you get to talk to him?" She starts to ask, frantically trying to pull any information from me about her idol but when I just stand shocked she continues. "Can you believe our Avery is the grandson of a surgical god?!"

Suddenly, everything falls into place at her words. Now I understand why Jackson was standing beside the bed of the man, whom I now know was the Harper Avery, and why there was a large crowd gathered. I heard stories about the legend Harper Avery all throughout medical school, most everyone I worked with wanted to win his award one day.

"How do we get on his good side?" Cristina sighs in disappointment and I frown.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, don't you want to meet him? We'd have to be friends with Avery, which we aren't, which sucks." She complains and if I wasn't freaking out, I would laugh at the irony of this situation. I mean, what are the chances that the guy I'm sleeping with is also the grandson of the greatest surgical legend in history?

"Uh, yeah..." I mutter, my head far away as I try to figure out my next move.

"Anyway, I have a consult, if you get to talk to him you page me, got it?" Cristina says, putting a hand on my shoulder to make sure I'm listening to her. It doesn't surprise me that she wants to meet Harper. She's a suck when it comes to experienced surgeons. I doubt she's ever had a celebrity crush, the only attraction for her comes from the scalpel.

Before I can respond, she's continued down the hallway, leaving me standing with a binder and a whole lot of questions.

∞∞∞∞∞∞

After finishing my consult with Mark about my patient who may need a plastic surgeon for her face after the car accident, I was ready to scrub into surgery. Turns out, the reason she's almost deaf is because she has otosclerosis, which is abnormal bone growth in the middle ear. The growth was blocking her ability to hear and in surgery, Mark is planning to remove it.

With my scrub cap on and ready to go, I make my way down to the OR floor. The moment I turn the corner to get to the elevator, I spot Jackson. Part of me wants to turn and run while the other part wants to hug him. I'm not left with much of a choice as he turns and spots me at the end of the hall. This time when he looks at me, he doesn't look like he wants me to leave so I walk over to him.

"Hey." He says slowly, as if he's not sure how to talk to me. These past two weeks we've shared together have actually been pretty great. Unlike most of my past relationships, we're not using each other for sex. We actually talk when we're together, some of the times we snuck into on-calls rooms were simply that, just talking.