Kara and Cat - The Birth Certificate Pt 3

"If you have something to say then just say it, damn it," Cat spat. But it wasn't that easy.

Kara had insisted that they leave the coffee shop and go for a walk in the nearby park, away from anyone who might hear them. So far, however, she hadn't been able to say anything.

Kara tried again but the words just came out jumbled. "I'm analasdlfiasj," she muttered.

"Have I taught you nothing? Enunciate!"

Kara took a deep breath before speaking. "I'm an alien." Cat's face went blank as she processed those words, meanwhile Kara continued. "My father, who you, um... met. He was from Krypton. So I guess that makes me half Kryptonian and half human."

Cat was still frozen in shock. "So," she stammered. "You're telling me I.... you know.... An alien?!"

"Not the part I want to focus on but yes, my father's name was Zor El."

"Wait a second, how do you know all this?" If this was a lot for Cat to take in, Kara knew what was coming next would blow her away.

"I know that because that's where I was all that time, the part where those documents say I disappeared."

"On.... on Krypton," Cat gulped.

"I guess somehow my father knew about me, he must have found a way to get me from that orphanage and take me with him," Kara explained.

"But, but then how did you end up back here?"

Kara's heart sank a bit in her chest. "There was an explosion when I was 13, the whole planet died. My family sent me to Earth in a pod so that I could live but, it went wrong. I was stuck in something called the Phantom Zone for years until finally I got to Earth. That's when I was adopted by the Danvers."

"So your family," Cat began, her voice cracking. "They're all..."

"Gone," Kara finished. "Yeah."

"Kara, I'm.... I'm so sorry," Cat had a faint tear in her eye, something Kara had never seen before.

"It's alright, really. I was actually really lucky, the family that took me in was incredible."

"I'm glad," Cat nodded. "Wow, this is all.... Not what I was expecting."

"Yeah, I'm sure it's a lot to take in," said Kara. "But that's not all."

"Oh god, there's more?" Cat gasped. She sighed and took a big sip of her coffee, as if fueling herself for whatever was about to happen.

"I'm Supergirl," Kara said in one quick breath. Suddenly Cat's coffee shot back out of her mouth, nearly spraying Kara.

"I'm sorry, you're who?!" Cat exclaimed, coming to a screeching halt.

Kara had been through this before and, after all, seeing is believing. After a brief scan of the park to ensure that no one else was around, she removed her glasses and leapt into the air. Kara made a quick pass around a nearby building before floating back down to the ground, where a pale Cat Grant looked like she had just seen a ghost.

"Please say something," Kara pleaded, becoming more and more uncomfortable with the silence.

"So you're telling me..." Cat began slowly. "I have had Supergirl right under my nose, on my goddamn payroll and all I did was send her on coffee runs?!"

Kara stifled a laugh, it was nice to have someone else finally see the irony of that.

"How did I miss this?" Cat continued. "That right there would have gotten me a Pulitzer! God, Lois Lane would never be that foolish."

"You'd be surprised actually," Kara giggled, but that was a story for another day. Cat's rant continued on for a bit before she stopped to take a breath, this new information finally settling in.

"So you're really her," Cat said as the pair began to walk once again. Kara just smiled and nodded. "Well then, I guess I owe you a thank you. You've done so much for this city... for me."

Kara blushed. "Thank you, Miss Grant." Those words hung in the air for a minute before Cat spoke again.

"Kara?"

"Yes?"

"I... I'm proud to call you my daughter."

A short one, but you guys seemed to like the first two so I had to include this part :)