the hazy nights

Dear Astoria,

I'm beginning to feel better in the hazy nights.

No longer are my nights lonely without you, for now they are comforting. They are my relaxer after a hard day at work.

Only the crickets and my breathing are the things I hear. Sometimes only the crickets offer sounds. My breathing has slowly stopped being ragged, short, and fumble.

Progress some call it. But progress will never succeed, really. I can tell you how much I know I'll never get over you. And that's okay, I think.

It still hurts, sometimes. There are the lonely nights where the dark brings no comfort. But I've noticed those times are getting less and less.

A comfort is knowing that you are painless. You are no longer suffering. I'm not glad you died, but for your sake I'm glad you are in no pain.

But I know you would rather be down here with me. You long for my touch, for my eyes. You long for me as as I do for you.

The question is, how do I know this? I know this because I know you, Astoria. I know your thoughts and actions, like you so mine.

That's what makes us fit, you know. We took the time to know each other throughout marriage and parenthood. I still learn, but I will admit that it hurts not being able to know more about you.

I miss learning. I long for the new knowledge being thrown at my face.

As I write this, my hands shake slightly. This is my way of thoughts dispersing. My crooked letters have even more of a wobble than usual.

Maybe it's because the crickets are silent. Why are they quieting tonight, I wonder. Maybe they lost someone. I was quiet when I lost you.

I shall let them mourn.

Love,

Draco