The Liars and the Fool

Adam is peering through the window as she approaches the house. Aria's face reconstitutes with a new wariness that frightens him. He knows she is thinking of leaving him and he has to persuade her to stay.

"I missed you, my love," Adam says slowly and leans in to kiss her.

Aria turns her head and his kiss lands on her cheek, "I've only been gone a few hours." Aria replies in his usual friendly tone, but it's different – he senses her coldness and he starts to panic. She's walking in haste to the bedroom.

"How was lunch with the ladies?" He tries to match her tone but the look of fear on his face is unmistakable.

"How was lunch...?" His question causes her state of calmness to shatter like a baseball hitting glass, "How in the hell do you think it was?!" she asks, curtly.

The anger from her eyes shows, the anger was nothing but a shield for pain. Adam watched. He watched Aria's eyes. Then he knew, like a cornered soldier randomly throwing out grenades, defensive, desperate. He breathed in real slow. What if nothing blew up? What if there were no consequences? Wouldn't Aria have to calm down? Wouldn't the shield clatter to the ground and let the pain tumble out?

"Ask me anything my love, I will be honest."

"Oh, now you want to be honest! After you've done it all...cheat on me, lie to me, use me... play me for a fool!"

The scared child within, the girl who was taught to fight for her respect and the ones she loves is at her breaking point. Adam could see the pain beneath it and her soul drowning in this persona she'd carved to fit a world of indifference.

Adam swallowed and said, "I – I...you are no fool my love and this is not a game."

"Yes, I was a fool, I was everyone's fool, especially yours!"

He was all edges again in the mist, shoulders taut and straight even though his hands are still in his pockets, "I should have told you, that is true, but I never lied to you, I..."

Aria cut him off with a wave, "Not telling me you fucked my friends is a lie...you lied and cheated on me!"

Her voice rises above the normal level as she is delving through her dresser for her garments and stuffing them into her Luis Vuitton duffle bag. At that moment, she wants to leave the house and never look back.

"Just because you weren't the first doesn't mean you aren't the last," He slowly approaches her, longing to touch her.

"What the fuck does that load horse shit mean?" She sneers at him and pauses when he is within arm's reach.

"You're the one Aria."

"I'm the one," she pushes his broad shoulder, "and so was Aurora and Addison at some point...when I look at you all I see is you fucking them and I can't stand it!"

"Aria, I am sorry what has happened upsets you, but if you allow me to share with you the reasons why I think it would provide you with some clarity."

"Stop talking to me like I'm your gullible business partner!" The argument grew from nowhere into a tornado. "I am no longer blinded by your double talk and your bullshit answers!"

"You listened to them and heard their side, now you need to listen to me!" The desperation in his tone was palpable, he moved in closer, not allowing an inch of space between them.

"Listen to what?! I don't want to hear about you and your brothers seducing them, fucking them, and then having a big laugh about it! The thought of it makes me want to vomit!" She slaps his face and speaks the words.