Chapter 32: The Plan Goes To Shit

Start from the beginning

Connor orders me chicken tenders and some fries while we wait. I start biting my fingernails and Connor notices. He chuckles at my antics.

"Everything's going to work out fine. Just relax. If anything does go wrong I'll be there by your side."

I look up at him and can tell he means every word he just said. I lower my hand with a sigh.

"Sorry, just a nervous habit."

Connor offers me a reassuring smile. "I see you're recovering a lot faster than I thought."

I nod. "I don't think I ever got to say thank you for saving me."

"You don't ever have to thank me. I'll always be there to save you."

I smile brightly at him. "That was so cheesy."

Connor's smile matches mine. We talk for a while, exchanging laughs and me telling him stories about Cole.

"One time he broke his foot just by standing up." I snort and Connor laughs with me. "I don't know how he managed that, he didn't kick his foot into anything."

We continue to laugh for a few minutes before we finally calm ourselves down.

I sigh. "I really do miss him, ya know? He would've loved you, Connor."

Connor smiles. "If he's anything like you I know we would've been great friends."

"Yeah, you would've been." We sit in comfortable silence for a minute before I speak up again. "You remind me of him sometimes."

Connor tilts his head. "How so?"

"It's just... some of the things you do. The look of pure innocence in your eyes, just like his."

Connor doesn't say anything but just stares at me.

"I'm so broken," I whisper.

Connor puts a hand to my cheek and wipes a stray tear away.

"You're not broken. You may not think that but I do. You're growing and picking up the pieces bit by bit even if you don't notice it. I bet you didn't even notice you haven't had a PTSD episode in a while."

I look at him in shock because he's right. I haven't had one in months.

"I hadn't even noticed," I speak quietly.

Connor smirks. "I know." He taps my cheek twice, lightly which causes me to giggle.

My food comes right after that and I start digging in.

Connor's LED blinks yellow so I know he's receiving a message.

"Don't freak out but Aidan just walked in," Connor whispers.

I slowly turn and follow Connor's gaze. There's a man wearing a cap pulled down over his face to hide it. That's got to be him. I turn back to Connor.

"Step 2 complete. Onward to step 3." I say and shove some fries in my mouth.

Connor nods and we decide to wait until after I finish my food to start the next step. Since my back was turned I didn't see Aidan get up and start approaching us, but Connor did. He shifts and I see him slowly reaching for his gun in his suit jacket. I scrunch my brows in confusion as I start eating my chicken tenders. Connor pulls the gun out, not making it obvious to the other people in the restaurant, and he rests it on his lap under the table. I hear him slowly take the safety off.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," Aidan says, startling me as he approaches our table.

"Hands in the air right now. We don't have to make a scene." Connor growls at him.

"And we won't," Aidan says and I detect a bit of cockiness in his voice. "Because there are bombs placed around this part of the city that will explode if you kill me."

Connor and I share a worried glance before looking back at him.

"You're... you're lying," I say with a shake of my head, not wanting to believe what he said.

Aidan tsks. "Have I ever lied to you, (Y/n)?"

"You're insane." I sneer at him and he just smirks.

"What do you want?" Connor asks calmly but also glaring at him.

"I want you two to come with me, quietly."

I look at Connor and he looks at me before nodding his head. He puts the safety back on his gun and puts it away.

"Damn it." I sigh.

The two of us get up and Aidan gestures for us to go first so we do, with him right behind us. I look up at Connor as we walk and I see his LED is yellow so maybe he's sending a message.

After we walk a little bit further I get irritated not knowing where he's taking us. He tells us to turn down an alley and I stop walking.

"Okay. Where the hell...?" I start but then something hits me in the back of my head and I fall forward.

My vision blurs but I make out Connor falling to the ground next to me right before everything turns black.

ASE715