"Excuse me?"

His gaze was unmoving, all amusement gone. "I didn't exactly come get to get something to eat but I'm sure you've figured that out already from how intently you seem inclined to breaking that pen."

My grip on my pen loosened immediately making it slip and fall to the floor. The sound it made was drowned in all the noise around us. I frowned. James didn't bat an eyelid, instead, he motioned to the empty seat opposite him.

"If you want to order something, go right ahead. I'll pay. But first, we need to talk."

I already knew this. It was the beginning of tragedy in the movies. It never was just a talk. Besides, "We don't have anything to talk about."

At this, James lifted an eyebrow. It ticked me off slightly how suddenly he grew amused. A smirk graced his lips. I wanted to yank it off and then kiss him. Somehow, my mind wandered off to the kiss that night. My cheeks grew warm but I refused to smile. I would never!

"I strongly doubt that, dear Avery." Did he just call me dear? He leaned back in all his handsome glory, intertwining his fingers on the table. "Weren't you he one practically grovelling and begging for me to help your family two nights ago?"

No. I didn't remember any grovelling and begging but I wasn't about to correct him. My ears had already perked up on hearing his words. He wanted to talk about helping my family business!

That conclusion had me settling into the seat in alert. I pinched my lips together before speaking. "I thought you said you wouldn't help?"

James lifted his chin ever so slightly. "I changed my mind."

"But you said you'd rather have your legs cut off." I didn't know why I was so opposed to this. For heaven's sake he was willing to help ARCane. This meant I'd finally get my mum to calm down. And even some thanks from my dad.

"I was drunk. I said and did a lot of things under the influence." He stared pointedly at me, like his words had more than one meaning. I caught it. And it stung like hell. "That was all a mistake. I did some research on ARCane and discovered that you guys are really really spiralling towards rock bottom."

I didn't understand. Was he here to mock my family or actually render help? Consciously, I scowled. James didn't seem to care.

"So I've decided to help."

My scowl disappeared at that and a stupid smile took it's place. Disbelief and hope laced my voice heavily when I said, "really?"

James chuckled. "Yes, I have."

I could have hugged him. I could have grabbed him by the collar and crashed our lips together and then kneel down and thank him. My lips parted and words of gratitude spilled out in a hurry while my hands fiddled with each other under the table.

"Thank you so much. You have no idea how grateful I am. My parents would be eternally thankful. I promised you won't regret this. I could talk to mum and make her make dad give your business the largest portion of the shares. Not that we have too many shareholders anymore. This is so amazing! Thank you-"

James put a hand up, cutting me off. I swallowed my words and let my gaze drift to the table.

"Yes, I know I'm being very generous with this. But, I have a condition."

I should have known.

My eyes snapped up to his burning gaze. The tension felt like fire and ice at the same time. How could he dangle this over my head? It was unfair!

My hands rested flat on the table and I leaned forward with anxiety in my veins. "What is it? You want us to sign half our profits to you? You want me to actually grovel? You want me to stay away from you with everything in me?"

That last one would be a stretch, but I could try. It would be for the better anyway.

James shook his head. "The opposite actually. Im sure it's no longer news that I'm moving in to your apartment building."

I sucked in a breath and leaned back, hands still on the table. I'd totally forgotten about that. Too many problems all at once, all coming for my neck. I nodded and bit my lip under his gaze. Curiosity almost made me come out and ask him why, but I was able to hold it in.

James continued. "Well, since I'm already acting CEO of the company, it'll only be a while before people start trying to poke into my personal life. And my parents have spoken about getting myself a partner that'll help forward the business. Not that I'm asking you to shoulder it. All you have to do is be there to distract them from poking their nose into my business. I don't plan on jumping from suitor to suitor to find the perfect one, but while we're together I can do all that without being tagged a bad boy CEO who is no good for the busin-"

By now, my confused brain couldn't take it anymore. Personal life? Suitor? Together? It didn't make any sense.

So I cut him off with my question. "I don't understand."

James paused and considered me. Then for the second time today, he smiled.

"It's simple. I want you to be my girlfriend again. Just, fake this time."

All the colour drained from my face. The surprise was so heavy on me, it made me spring out of my seat and send it toppling backwards while I gawked at James. Someone needed to pick my jaw up off the floor.