chapter 28

''I don't care. That one's for him'' Her voice broke. ''He deserves it more than I do.''

Thomas eyes filled with tears.

Exactly three minutes later. Zara found herself walking in the W.C.K.E.D building once again, through the big entrance hall and next to Thomas. No words were exchanged since the moment they walked into the building. Only the loud echoes of their footsteps on the floor could be heard. It was dark outside. White lights from the moon and other building shone through the large windows and created scary shadows. Zara would've been scared if she hadn't just gone through an actual heartbreak. Or if she wasn't feeling as terrible as she was now. The things that went through her mind, the nauseous feeling in her stomach, the burning sensation on her cheek, the pressure that whatever it was put on her head, the pain in her heart of losing him.

As their arms brushed against each other, Zara and Thomas walked on. In silent, but no words were needed to tell what the two were going through.

And what they were doing in the building again? Well, remember the message from Teresa through the speakers? At the end she said he needed to come back to her. And that was exactly what Thomas was not planning on doing. Instead, the first part of the message was more important to him. And for that, he needed someone else. Someone who was now standing a few feet away from them. She was facing the window and hadn't noticed the two teens yet.

Zara stood still, as did Thomas. The boy loaded the pistol and calmly aimed it at the woman in front of them, but his hand was shaking. Zara waited and felt Thomas' unease enter her. She stayed by his side and stared at Dr. Paige, who the gun was pointed at.

The woman slowly turned around, showing her face. She looked at Zara and Thomas with a sad expression on her face. It wasn't even sad. More like guilt.

Thomas took slow and conscious steps in her direction. The hand, which was holding the pistol, was shaking. Zara followed his steps and stood next to him as she quietly scanned Dr. Ava Paige.

A difficult silence followed.

''Is it true?'' Thomas asked, breaking the silence. His voice was raspy and fragile. ''Newt,''

Zara felt her stomach turn. A stab pain shot through her heart like an arrow. The girl swallowed and blinked away tears that'd formed in her eyes.

''Could I've saved him?'' Thomas' voice broke. He was fighting back tears and had to make much effort to speak.

''You can save us all.'' The women softly answered. Her eyes darted to Zara. ''You can save her.''

Zara swallowed for the second time. Despite the virus that was growing inside her, she clearly caught Ava's words. And she took it in, but wasn't capable of doing much more with it, other than feeling horrible.

Thomas dropped the pistol next to him. Zara looked at it, slightly startled by the loud sound it caused. Then, she reached her hand for his back in support and watched Ava Paige as she started approaching them. In the corner of her eyes, Zara could see Thomas fighting back his tears. His eyes were locked on the ground, his head hung.

''It's okay.'' Dr. Paige whispered.

Thomas looked up. ''Just leave the others alone...'' His eyebrows were knitted together, the slightest hint of pouting was on his lips.

Zara darted her eyes back to the woman in front of them. Ava plastered a smile on her face. ''I promise.''

Zara stared blankly ahead. She'd zoned out and wasn't really focusing on anything. Her head hurt and when she took in the sight of her arm, she saw faint black blood vessels. Something that hadn't been there before. A wave of nausea hit, making Zara shiver.