chapter 13

2 days earlier (day after attack in the Scorch)

A.D Janson

''Why didn't you wait for her to return to the helicopter?''

''Because you gave the command to go back, sir.'' The young helicopter pilot shuffled from one foot to another.

Janson pressed his lips together and closed his eyes, holding in his anger. After two seconds he looked at the man again. ''And what made you think you could leave without her?''

The man swallowed. ''She didn't return, sir. I thought she- eh...''

Janson's expression hardened. ''You thought what?''

When the pilot didn't answer, Janson smiled sarcastically in order to answer for him.

''You thought she was dead, huh? You thought she wasn't returning because she wasn't alive anymore. Well, what if I tell you that one of the guards saw her in the building, running together with Thomas?''

The young man looked at Janson in shock. He searched for words. ''I, I uh- I didn't know, sir.''

Janson scoffed. ''Yeah...''

Some confidence seemed to come back to the pilot as he straightened his posture.

''Well, I think we can-''

''You son of a bitch! Can't you understand I lost my DAUGHTER?!'' Janson exploded. Then his voice lowered. ''And worse, it means that she switched to them. My own goddamn daughter.''

The man raised his eyebrows. ''Is that worser then that she'd be dead?''

Janson kept down his rage. ''Yes. Yes, it is, Philip.'' The pilot's shoulders stooped at the mention of his name. Janson ignored it and continued. '' Because Zara possesses a lot of information, so when she tells them, the will surely use it against us. I just knew it. They're her age, of course she chooses their side. Perhaps she'll get herself a nice boyfriend.'' He scoffed.

Philip swallowed again.

Janson sighed and buried his face in his hand before making a statement. ''One day, ONE day, I'm going to kill her.''

''Oh.'' The man in front of him frowned. ''Well, that's not comforting at all.''

Janson grinned. ''I'll let her play a little longer. She thinks that she outsmarted me. She always thought that. Little shit.''

''I should've never told her about this all. When I get her back, I'll delete her memories. Just like six years ago.''

--------------------------­­­­­-----------------------------­­­

''Dad, what are we doing?'' Zara mumbled. She laid in a chair in a weird hospital room. Patches with wires stuck to her head and she was wearing a complete blue garbage bag outfit. That's what she called it.

''You're having a little operation, sweety. I won't hurt you; I promise.'' Her dad answered, he stood next to her chair.

Zara's lips started to tremble. Her eyes watered. ''I'm scared...'' It barely came out in more than a whisper.

Janson patted his daughter on the head. ''That's okay. You'll be fine. In a few hours you'll be sleeping in your own bed again, all safe.''

He left the room and so his ten-year old daughter. Her little body in the big chair. Her long blonde hair was tied in a high tail.

Her sparkling light-brown eyes stared at the ceiling, waiting in fear for what was going to happen.

Little did she know they were going to remove her memories.