chapter 18

Zara was full of emotions, but empty. And the emptiness was so heavy.

Why did it hurt so much? Because it was real. Something she'd never had before. Real friendships. Love.

She belonged to them. To him.

Zara stared at the ceiling. The ceiling of the Berg. She was laying on a metal bench on the side of the big space, constantly moving and changing her position. It was everything but comfortable. But she couldn't really do anything about it, neither wanted to. At that moment, she felt like doing nothing. She wanted to sleep, escape reality. Because the reality she found herself in now, Zara knew she wouldn't be able to take it.

Only the thought of returning to the W.C.K.E.D building made her sick. The thought of living with her father again made her sick.

She wasn't the only one in the inside of the Berg. The main space, you could call it. Around her, soldiers were sitting on the benches as well. Most of them were sleeping, some just sitting and staring ahead or looking around. Zara felt the awkwardness and sighed.

When she heard loud footsteps and heels, she shifted to lean on her elbows. They'd taken her warm coat when the Berg took off, so she was now wearing the white shirt, the dark-blue jeans and her own black shoes. Her hair was still in a messy braid, laying on her back. Loose strands around her face.

Janson and Dr. Paige approached, both looking like they just refreshed one self or woke up from a beauty nap. As if there hadn't just been a war where more than 70% of the people had died. And their faces stood neutral, as always.

They went to stand in front of Zara, who sat up and swung her legs over the side of the bench. Janson went in to hug his daughter, Zara just patted his back. When he backed off, Zara stared at him. She hated his face.

She drew a conclusion. He did look like a rat. Minho was a genius.

''My god. What did they do to you? How are you?'' Ratman asked.

Zara knew she had to lie now. She had to continue Thomas' lie, about them capturing her. It was her time to shine.

''Well, my eyebrows don't hurt.''

Janson stared at her, disappointed in her answer.

''I'm fine. They gave me food... and water.'' Zara added.

''How did it happen? How did they catch you?''

''Right after I left the helicopter, one of your fucking soldiers shot me in my shoulder. I just continued doing my thing when I ended up in this collapsing-building situation. That was also the moment I started noticing the amount of blood I'd lost because I almost passed out. Thomas and some other girl caught me and took me with them. The next thing I can remember is waking up in a dark tunnel and running away from Cranks. They almost left me there. It was that I had a gun, otherwise they would've actually done that.''

Janson frowned. ''But why didn't you shoot them and return to us?''

''I was in a goddamn underground tunnel with ZOMBIES. How was I supposed to find a way out ALIVE after I'd killed those other two?''

Janson's frown faded away. He shook his head. ''I'm just glad you're... alive. And here, with me again, where you belong.''

Fighting the urge to roll her eyes, Zara just nodded.

''Did they treat your shoulder?'' Ava Paige spoke up.

Zara glanced down. Her arm was still in the black sling. She carefully took it off, putting it next to her. ''Well, I passed out, so I don't know. But they told me they took out the bullet and stitched it.''