chapter 20

Newt pov

We continue our gaze at the crackling fire. Crickets are chirping, stars fill the dark sky. I rub my hands together and blow on them in order to make them warm. I glance up, the moon was there. Just above the horizon. I stare at it. Maybe she can see it too.

''We're gonna get them back somehow.'' Tommy says. He'd been saying that ever since the night they took our friends.

I simply nod.

Tommy takes in a breath. ''When the time is right.'

''When the time is right.'' I repeat.

Three months passed

Zara's door swung open. She shot up in her bed and stared blankly at her father, who appeared into the doorway. In the middle of the night.

''What the hell is wrong with you?'' She mumbled, rubbing her eyes.

''Pack what you need and make it quick.'' He said.

Zara narrowed her eyes. ''Huh?''

Her father darted his eyes away and sighed. ''Grab what you think you need, we're moving.'' He spoke, now slower. He pointed his thumb pack. ''Elevator in ten minutes.''

He left.

Zara stared at the place he'd been standing. She frowned. Moving? Where to?

Eventually she got out of her bed. She put on sweatpants and a red shirt, then started packing important stuff in a bag. Everything was important. Her bed had to move too, her desk, her...

Something entered her mind. What had she missed when she wasn't at home back then? She would take those things and nothing more. She figured she'd most likely get a new bed in whatever place they were going too. Or her father expected her to take apart a whole bed in less than ten minutes AND carry it downstairs.

So, she grabbed some clothes, her laptop + charger, her hair- and toothbrush, schoolwork and that was pretty much it. Had to be enough. And moving didn't happen in one day, right? She didn't know. She'd never moved before. Not that she could remember. She zipped up the black bag and threw it over her shoulder. While making her way to the door, her eyes fell on her desk.

Her drawing. She'd put it under her laptop a few months ago to hide it. Now that she'd packed up that thing, the drawing appeared. Zara reached out and picked it up. The Glade with the boys. Couldn't hurt to take anyway. She folded it and put it in the pocket of her pants. Then left her room for real and headed for the elevators.

A clock in the hallway said three o'clock. In the morning. It was three in the morning and her father decided to literally move.

Speaking about him, there he was. He and Zara got in the elevator, had it take them to the ground floor and walked out. Continuing to walk down the short stairs and through the gate in the wall, into the enormous shed with helicopters, buses and Bergs. It was the second time for Zara to be in there.

''Glad you finally see what a stupid house this is.'' Zara noted.

Janson snorted. ''Am I supposed to feel attacked?''

''Choose for yourself. Where are we going, anyway?''

''Don't ask questions.''

Zara rolled her eyes. While the feeling of suspicion entered her. She looked around, scanning the place. They weren't the only ones. Everyone seemed to be there: doctors, scientists, guards, soldiers, other workers, even their own cook was there. Migration? Think so.