chapter 17

''LET THEM GO!'' Thomas yelled.

Zara flinched, her eyes darting from left to right. Panic seized her brain as Thomas' grip around her tightened. Zara was shaking. Even her breathing was shaky. But she wasn't the only one. Thomas was shaking. The gun against her head trembled. He was scared.

Just as scared as Zara.

Teresa joined Janson and Ava Paige in front of them. ''Thomas, please stop.'' She begged. Her voice was about to break, and her eyes flooded with tears.

''SHUT UP!'' Thomas snapped back.

Zara's eyes found her father. His eyes revealed fear. Yes, real fear. But something told Zara it wasn't about her. That didn't make the whole experience better for her. She was standing by her friend who held a gun to her head. In front of her was her father who she'd escaped from. She hated him so so much. But at the moment she couldn't think straight. She wanted it to be over. What if Thomas just pulled the trigger right then at that moment?

The silent tense was broken by the sudden sound of a jeep. Everyone around them spun in circles, trying to find the source of the sound and who had the balls to disturb such a threatening moment. Zara and Thomas already knew.

Brenda and Jorge to the rescue.

The car bumped into several helicopters and other objects, causing stuff to blow up and fly through the air. Now that everyone watched that as it happened, Zara and Thomas were no longer the center of attention. When a piece of a helicopter flew over them, Thomas yanked Zara to the ground. He dropped the gun and let go of Zara.

She let out a scared though relieved sigh. She looked at Thomas. All the aggression that had been in his eyes earlier was gone. He looked cared and guilty. The overwhelmed boy was searching for words.

''I- I'm so, so sor-''

''-it's okay.'' Zara cut him off.

Thomas shook his head quickly. ''No, no it's not. Zara, I could've killed you and-''

''-and you didn't. You saved my life.''

''I put a gun to your head.''

''Stop it, please. I'm not dead, I'm still here.''

Thomas stared at her. His lips set in a hard line. Still not satisfied with his own actions. Zara gave him a comforting smile before rolling away and getting on her feet. Thomas followed, they stood next to each other. The war was continuing after a little interruption. The intentions weren't even staying alive anymore. It was now really the Right Arm against W.C.K.E.D.

Three soldiers aimed their guns at Zara and Thomas. The two jolted back. Thomas glared at them. Zara was surprised by that it seemed his fear had completely vanished. He was full of rage, anger.

Zara's heart pounded. She swallowed, not taking her eyes off the soldiers for a single second. Would they shoot or not?

Thomas was the first to act. He pulled something out of his pocket. Zara had no idea what the thing in his hand was supposed to be. It was small and black. Thomas pressed something and threw it towards the soldiers. They backed away and ducked, watching the small thing on the ground next to them.

By the time Zara could realize what it was, it was already too late.

''RUN! GET DOWN!'' Thomas exclaimed. He and Zara spun and made a run for it, as far away from the grenade as possible.

It exploded.

The ground trembled by the high pressure coming off it. Zara lost her balance and was thrown forward. Doing a whole 180 before she crashed into the ground a few yards further. Her entire body ached.